Dallas Cohousing Message Board › Other Cohousing Projects in DFW: Townhomes, Rural, Single Family

Other Cohousing Projects in DFW: Townhomes, Rural, Single Family

Angela
AngelaAlston
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 17
There are several others we know about it, each with a quite distinct take on the core concept of cohousing.

White Rock Crossing: a ground-up townhome community. They have the land and 1/2 of the home pre-sold; need to pre-sell all to break ground. For more info: http://whiterockcross...­

Two friends named Dan and Claudia are looking to create a rural community and grow all their food. No website yet: email me if you're interested in talking with them.

Someone else wants to buy adjacent homes in East Dallas and break down fences between them, a model which has worked well in CA (eg. N St. Cohousing in Sacramento (or Davis)). Hugh has her contact info: email me if you'd like it.
A former member
Post #: 254
I and some others are interesting in setting up a Liberty District (a type of intentional community aimed at securing and restoring freedom as much as reasonably possible) somewhere in Texas. Whether this may be achieved by adapting part of a small town or building a new community or other means is still tbd. This is intended for Libertarians, AnCaps, Objectivists, and similar leaning people, with the corresponding ethical foundation and embracing diversity. Developing our own sustainable local economy etc. would then be desireable so we'd look at things like organic farming, going off grid or closer to it, a viable community currency, etc.
A former member
Post #: 9
Hi! My fiance and I are interested in a non-urban area (ie: not downtown Dallas), but not too far from the city. If home schooling is not an option in the community, then we would need access to good public schools. We would also need a lease-to-own or renting option, unless the houses are cheaper. We are looking to grow almost all of our own food, would prefer to live off the grid and as sustainably and eco-friendly as possible. We welcome a diverse community, but are hoping for some residents our age (early to mid-30s). A community open to car-sharing, a few weekly meals together, open communal areas, etc. would be great. We are also very versed in the Zeitgest Movement and would be THRILLED if others are as well. Help?
Angela
AngelaAlston
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 23
Hi--
we're eager for diversity in all ways, including age. I personally love the idea of home schooling--we don't have kids, but I'd be delighted to be an assistant teacher. :}

Our vision involves growing some but not all of our food and being part of a CSA or food coop for more.
also envision retrofitting existing buildings for affordability & sustainability. In urban Dallas, definitely not downtown--too expensive! But walking distance to DART.

See more about what we're envisioning on our website: click here. Note that very little is set in stone: we want to co-create the community with the other folks who'll be living there. That's the essence of cohousing.
Ray
iknowlessthanyou
Dallas, TX
Post #: 3
I can get quality produce and meats and vegetables at below wholesale costs due to being employed by one of the top independently owned grocery store chains in the country. I currently have to give much of the produce away to neighbors due to only having a family of five. For instance, a case of 48 large HASS avocados from Mexico costs me $0.75 each vs $1.25 to $2.00 in the stores. Watermelons are purchased for $0.09/pound. Lamb that sells for over $6/lb can be purchased at nearly half price.