Dallas Fort Worth Adventure Events Message Board › Chocolate Truffles - Sweet Indulgences

Chocolate Truffles - Sweet Indulgences

user 2600040
Group Organizer
Plano, TX
Post #: 690
Do you enjoy chocolate? I teach one of the easiest ways to make your own chocolate delicacies with a simple chocolate truffle recipe.

1 Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk (14 oz)
¼ cup hot water (to extract all of the condensed milk from the can)
3 to 4 ½ Cups of Chocolate Chips (White Chocolate may also be used, with added sugar & corn starch as thickeners)
1 Teaspoon of Flavoring
4 cartons of Dolci Frutta (or equivalent Baker’s Chocolate)

Put water in a double boiler & bring to a boil. (A double boiler will prevent the milk/chocolate mix from burning). Combine the milk & chocolate in the top of the boiler and gently stir with a wooden spoon until the chocolate is fully melted and blended.
Turn off the heat & continue to stir the mix as it starts to thicken. Add 1 tablespoon of flavoring, stir until whipped into a creamy texture. Then pour into sealed containers & chill overnight.
Lay down waxed paper (or oil cookie sheets). Remove the chilled batter. Using a spoon, dig out dime to nickel sized rounds of batter. Roll the batter into spheres between your hands, and then place on the waxed paper. Chill for 10-20 minutes.
Melt the Dolci Frutta in small batches & roll the batter to create a shell. The shell can also be poured across the top to form bullet shaped truffles. Before the shell hardens, spoon decorations or seasonings across the top to delineate the flavors (ie; red sugar crystals on raspberry truffles).

Flavoring suggestions:
Cognac & Cinnamon
Crème de Menthe (especially with white chocolate)
Coconut Flakes & Rum
Dark Chocolate & Raspberry
Godiva Chocolate Liquor & Cocoa Powder
Peanut Butter & Crushed Peanuts
Amaretto & Almond Slivers
Tuaca & Vanilla Extract
Grand Marnier & Orange Rind
user 2600040
Group Organizer
Plano, TX
Post #: 691
Since we live in a crazy world, I also whipped up a waiver that I use with this class. It basically says "I make this as safe and delicious as possible, but I can't prevent someone from showing up sick & I have no way to know what you might be allergic to. Also, if you attack someone with a spoon, trying to steal their precious chocolate, I can't be held responsible for any injuries."

Here's the waiver & recipe sheet:

Chocolate Truffle Class Participant Waiver

By participating in this class, I (please print) ________________________________________­_________ acknowledge the following risks and agree to hold harmless the instructor, facility, city facilitating the class, and all city employees for any non-negligent actions and agree to pursue binding arbitration prior to filing any court cases related to my participation in this class.
I expressly acknowledge:
1) The purpose of this class is to learn how to replicate (in my own home) recipes demonstrated and prepared by the instructor,
2) While the instructor has engaged in reasonable and prudent procedures to ensure the safety and quality of all demonstration ingredients, if I choose to consume any food prepared in the class, I may be exposed to pathogens, allergens, or other related health risks beyond the instructor’s control,
3) The food I will be working with has not been prepared in a certified food handling facility,
4) I will be working with molten chocolate and assume responsibility for my own safety and conduct around other class participants,
5) I will be working with silverware, kitchen utensils, & other cooking accessories that can cause harm or injury if used inappropriately and assume responsibility for my own safety and conduct around other class participants.

[ ] – I am over the age of 18, have read the above, and acknowledge receipt of this waiver.
[ ] – I am over the age of 18, have read the above, and acknowledge receipt of this waiver on behalf of a minor participating in the class:

Signed:_______________________________­_____________ Date: _________________

Name of minor class participant (if applicable): ____________________________________
user 2600040
Group Organizer
Plano, TX
Post #: 692
Something I'd like to talk about more in the class is the origin of the cocoa that we choose to use. This is a really thought provoking video that discusses how cacao production in Mexico has declined from 1800 hectares at it's peak down to just 4 hectares today: