addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Dallas-Plano Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Religion at workplace

Religion at workplace

pejeee
user 11031157
Bedford, TX
Post #: 6
Hi everyone,

I have been working at a private Pathology service in Dallas for 4 years. Aside from the educated and science oriented majority, we also have couriers and client response reps who enjoy watching FOX news in the break room! One of the couriers happens to be an ordained minister who has approached me before to ask about my beliefs. He had spotted me speaking Farsi on my phone and he mistook it for Hebrew and therefore asked if I were Jewish. I politely refused to answer.
The second incident with this person was that he told one of my co-workers who has a child outside of marriage that her child is a "Bastard Child"! This really pissed me off and I wanted to report him but my co-worker stopped me from doing so.
Last week, I entered the breakroom and I found the guy performing a hysteric sermon on the coming of Christ! The 2 ladies who were listening to him were laughing like crazy people and chanting: "We're so excited that Christ is comin!"
They pretty much ignored my presence and kept on. That was it for me. I walked out and went directly to our HR director. I mentioned the previous incedents and that how this company like any other institution in America is composed of various cultures and beliefs and this is not acceptable in a place dedicated to science. I comfortably declared my atheism to her and explained that how my Middle Eastern background could be considered by the religious crazies as Anti-Christian or Islamist! (Believe me, I've been called that). She understood and agreed with what I said and immediately warned the guy not to bring his religion to work.

I am satisfied with what I have done to stop this guy because it is clear to me that what he has done is considered a violation of the company's policies.

Now, I have a question:

Is it ok for someone to send a group e-mail at work, asking to help their kid with his/her fundraising for building a "Prayer Garden" for children at a Church's pre-school?

What would you do? Would you complain about this?
A former member
Post #: 4
The company email system is as much property of the company as the break room is. Is there a board in the break room for people to post things for sale etc? if so, that is the place for such requests. Sending group emails soliciting for religious organizations using the company email as the point of origin is most probably misuse of company property. If your contract looks like a standard one, such violations can be considered an infraction that leads to loss of employment. Check your company's policies on use of company computers and communications systems.
Cooper
user 6532302
Mesquite, TX
Post #: 57

Is it ok for someone to send a group e-mail at work, asking to help their kid with his/her fundraising for building a "Prayer Garden" for children at a Church's pre-school?

What would you do? Would you complain about this?

I agree with Mr. Z. The e-mail system is property of your employer and should only be used in accordance with company policies and gudielines.

That said, is it worth it to push the issue?

You can simply trash religious e-mails and pretty much ignore them. This causes no waves or ill feelings among other employees. That is quite a bit different than having to endure a John Hagee impression in the breakroom. For one, the breakroom is unique, everyone has to go into it at some point but your computer, controlled by you, can access or deny access, to any information you want. Or, go to the people who draft these religious e-mails and tell them to take you off their mass e-mail lists when sending non-work related e-mails; you can say you have too much to wade through or they are filling up your inbox...whatever. Plus, if you push the issue about e-mails with religious content then the company might clamp down on other non-work related e-mails like jokes; YouTube links; casual, social e-mails, etc.
A former member
Post #: 109
Good for you Peejee - good for you standing up and not letting it go.

I have worked for many companies in the past 15 years and have rarely seen religion play a dominant active role. I have, however, seen it play a dominant passive role. More on that some other time.

A friend of mine landed this new job which he likes very much, but the things he tells me scares me. They fired 3 contractors to hire him. When I learned that I thought that it was pretty cool - that it he could replace three employees. Then I learned that they were Muslims and my friend seems Christian (he is more agnostic). I further learned that they have a Chaplin available to employees for praying and getting guidance. A company sponsored Chaplin. In the company's mission statement it clearly makes references to service to god. This scares me because it seems to me that the social climate is one of intolerance and that this tendency is growing.

I have not directly had to choose to be vocal or not on such matters at work. I am sure I would become unemployed if I did. I am a bastard that way. I do know whom to steer clear of management-wise. I know which managers have "The Purpose Driven Life" or the Bible in their offices (Oddly they are the same ones I find incompetent at the technical level). I know people at work are freethinkers too (inverse correlation - they are the most proficient technically). In short - I avoid the people I see as potential danger as politics always plays a role in "Job Survivor". Luckily my co-workers are comprised of a diverse group so there is a lot of tolerance and there isn't a lot of public talk of religion or politics.
A former member
Post #: 3
Hey Man,

I've had problems at work with Evangelical Christians. I used to bartend in Austin and remember this guy approaching the bar telling me I should quit my job because that's not an appropriate occupation. Alcohol is an evil drug, etc. He tried to tell me about Noah's flood which I think is the funniest part of the bible because they're other flood myths (Epic of Gilgamesh) written 1,000 years before the book of Genesis was written. Of course this guy got pissed when he couldn't win me over to Christ and told my manager I was a jerk to him. I lost my job. No joke either!

Christians make it impossible to disagree with them. You can be critical of everything else but their faith. Christianity wins in the marketplace of ideas in the Western World especially America. If you really think about it who has the total monopoly on truth? The fuckin' church!

The great Carl Sagan once said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence!"

Cheers!

Donny
pejeee
user 11031157
Bedford, TX
Post #: 8
Wayne,

Having lived in a muslim country for 23 years, I know exactly what kind of work environment they can creat. Islam forces itself not only as a religion but as a way of life.