addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Dallas-Plano Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Atheist Debate at Prestonwood

Atheist Debate at Prestonwood

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello everyone!

Christopher Hitchens the author of God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything will be at the Prestonwood Baptist Church debating Dr. William Dembski, Professor in Philosophy at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. Starts at Thursday 8:40 am. Can't wait to see Hitchens kick some ass!

Cheers!

Donny
A former member
Post #: 108

and Sadly I will be in training Thursday and Friday.

and I so want to see this.

Cooper
user 6532302
Mesquite, TX
Post #: 58
It should be fun, I'd love to go!

I checked and you have to register, costs $5. Although, I imagine most of that is to pay for Hitchens' fees so I would not feel bad about paying. Anyone up for an improptu group night?
A former member
Post #: 7
Thanks a lot for sharing this Donny!

I just signed up...can't wait to see Hitchens!
Carol
CarolSchofield
Addison, TX
Post #: 24
I and my (adult) son are attending this.
I know some of the UTD ASH kids are going, and some FOF folks, too. We will be waiting to get in at 8:15 (AM). The info from the sign-up has 8:15 as the "doors open" time. If you see us- let's sit together!
A former member
Post #: 2
I didn't know they were charging for this? I thought since it was a church it was free. No big deal though. Do I have to register online for this?

Thanks for reminding me.

Donny
Cooper
user 6532302
Mesquite, TX
Post #: 59
They have shut down online registration but you can still get in for $5 at the door. The church website says that there is still plenty of seating; go figure early in the morning on a weekday to keep the atheists way I imagine. Hope to see others there. There is a coffee shop at the church in case people want to set a meetup point. There are also a couple of bookstores and a cafeteria.
Mick
Mick_
Plano, TX
Post #: 248
How'd this go? Anybody got a recap?
Robert
user 10822543
Plano, TX
It went very well. Hitchens knew his audience consisted of many school children. He really spoke to his audience and quite eloquently at that.

He left the other guy flushed, rambling, and back peddling in several cases.

David L.
user 11809342
Plano, TX
I enjoyed Hitchens as we all do, but it was a bit awkward. This was a bad idea for these people, they were not really interested in this type of debate. They started and ended with a prayer, singing, etc... School children who don't know have the words being used, concepts such as altruism. So it digressed sometimes into a debate about evolution, but the Christian speaker is actually the most progressive of the ID views I've ever heard, so there was not much substance there for debate.

He would mistakingly engage Hitchens on topics such as Mother Theresa, at which time the real Hitchens came out swinging, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

But the young kids were falling asleep for most of the discussions.