add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Dallas-Plano Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › God is an Asshole!

God is an Asshole!

A former member
Post #: 5
Exodus 32:27
And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.

Hosea 13:16
Sa-maria shall become desolate: for she hath rebelled against her God; they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil;
I the LORD do all these things.

II Kings 2:23-24
23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD, and there came forth two she bears out of the the wood, and tore forty and two children of them.

Ezekiel 5:10
Therefore the fathers shall eat the sons in the midst of thee, and the sons shall eat their fathers; and I will execute judgments in thee, and the whole remnant of the will I scatter into the winds.

Why is II Kings 19:1 and Isaiah 31:1 the same written word for word story yet they were written by two different authors 150 to 200 years apart?

More on the way!
Plano, TX
Post #: 247
My favorite addition is the New World Translation as used by the Jehovah Witnesses. It is the most literally translated version of the Bible and it tends to say it like it is as opposed to rose-colored glasses, euphemisms, or sugar coating:

So, slight differences:
He now said to them: "This is what Jehovah the God of Israel has said, "Put each one of YOU this sword on his side. Pass through and return from gate to gate in the camp and kill each one his brother and kill each on his fellow and each one his intimate acquaintance' Exodus 32:27

For me the "intimate acquaintance" is telling because it doesn't say wife, meaning it might be the mistress, or maybe even the mister. Intimate acquaintance is wider category because we need some right gawdly killing here -- not just demi-gawd stuff that might exclude someone.

I'm not sure the reference to "create evil" as the NWT says "creating darkness, making peace, and creating calamity." You must be quoting the KJ version. Epicurus is the first to question the source of evil (at least in written history) but this question came up more and more in the 1500's as bubonic, smallpox, typhus, and malaria plagues killed hundreds of millions of people. The debate raged and many couldn't reconcile gawd creating evil, but th KJ version said it directly in 1611. It's about the only version of the Bible that does. In fact, the "New King James" which is considered the correction of many of KJ's politically oriented revisions of the Bible says "calamity". Many say "disaster", "sorrow", etc. only the KJ says "evil". King James probably need a gawdly excuse.

The two she-bears came out from the woods and went tearing to pieces forty-two children of their number. 2 Kings 2:24 Slightly stronger words here. "tore" versions "tearing to pieces"

Here's some more:
Gawd kills 70K of his chosen in 1 Chronicles 21
Moses brags about the pillage and destruction of a kingdom of 60 cities killing everyone that lived there in Deuteronomy 2.

Orders the raping of women in Zachariah 14:2
And I shall certainly gather all the nations against Jerusalem for the war, and the city will actually be captured and the houses pillaged, and the women themselves will be raped.

Even the loving version gawd II from the new testament demands death:
Moreover, these enemies of mine that did not want me to become king over them BRING here and slaughter them before me.
Jesus speaking in Luke 19:24

Anyway, there's a ton of these to be found here:
A former member
Post #: 46
The god of the bible is nothing more than an abusive jealous man who repeatedly beats his wife and kids, asks for forgiveness and shows his love afterwards by buying gifts to keep them appeased, but then expects his family to never question his actions.

And supposedly we're the ones going to hell for not wanting to put up with that crap!
A former member
Post #: 115
The god of the bible is nothing more than an abusive jealous man who repeatedly beats his wife and kids, asks for forgiveness and shows his love afterwards by buying gifts to keep them appeased, but then expects his family to never question his actions.

And supposedly we're the ones going to hell for not wanting to put up with that crap!

god is an alcoholic?

While he gave us then ten demandments - maybe he should check the 12 steps.
A former member
Post #: 17
The god of the Christian Bible is a genocidal, murderous, megalomaniacal, jealous tyrant, **IF** such a god existed rather than know how to worship it, I would need to know how to kill it. Such deeds as are chronicled in the holy texts of the Abrahamic faiths are worthy only of someone who needs to be executed for their crimes.
user 11960877
Dallas, TX
Post #: 4

There is no need to be upset or even hostile when micro analyzing religious beliefs. Step back and look at the situation from a macro perspective.

There are no real Gods. There never have been any real Gods. I have seen no evidence that in any way convinces me that there ever will be real Gods.

All GODS are developed from man’s imagination. Man’s imagination is a product of memory and is finitely restricted to man’s input from his sensory system.

All religious myths and texts are a product of man. Not the other way around. Man and Mother Earth are capable of doing some very BAD things. The content of all text reflect only the writings of man (maybe some truth, maybe some imagination, a lot of ego etc.).

Nothing in the ancient texts is foreign to events of the last 500 years. If you look closely you can find very similar examples of brutality, cruelty, and carnage on a much larger scale even in the last 100 years. Try reading what is going on in the Sudan even as this is written.

The real message from these old beliefs and myths is that sadly, MAN has not changed much in the span of our documented past.

Gods are not good or bad. They exist only in your imagination; therefore, you can make them be what ever you want them to be. I don’t envy anyone their trip.

I just don’t want them to try and pressure me into participating in their fantasy or to instigate some disadvantage because I refuse to take part in their belief.
McKinney, TX
Post #: 141
There is no need to be upset or even hostile when micro analyzing religious beliefs.

I disagree. There is plenty of need to be upset and hostile -- not violent -- but definitely hostile.

Do Christians think it's hostile to tell children they were born in sin and are headed straight for an eternity of burning unless they beg for forgiveness?
A former member
Post #: 20
Doyle, that's the problem. The creed of the Abrahamic faiths is that all must participate or be stoned. To them their god has divine right to give and take life and so they too have divine right to take life if it is done in upholding the name and laws of their deity. Only now in man's history are those who do not believe getting to have some say. Our lot were tortured, killed, hunted, and despised in all of recorded history. Even now the UN is being pressured to pass blasphemy laws. There is no time to sit back and say live and let live. That only works when all parties are willing to abide. Clearly the faithful are not. There is plenty of need to be upset and hostile toward believers and their passive support of radicals. There is certainly NO reason to be passive now. Legal attacks on the separation of church and state have never been more aggressive. The more we speak out the more aggressive they get. We need that. It will be their aggression that brings them down. Poke, prod, and provoke them. Slowly take away any legal footing they might have... The more they speak the more foolish they look. The world needs to see how foolish they look too. Compare fundies to the Taliban and suddenly America becomes a scary place.
McKinney, TX
Post #: 143
I couldn't agree more, Mr. Z! Poke, prod, and provoke them. I wish I had had the guts to do that during our family gathering at Christmas. My brother-in-law wore a T-shirt (in my honor) that read "If there is no God, then nothing matters...If there is a God, then nothing else matters!"

For the benefit of my folks and the kids I bit my tongue the entire time. It was so frustrating! If not me, then who will explain that he has it exactly backwards??? If there is no God, everything matters! I regret being so passive and friendly towards his nonsense.

A former member
Post #: 22
You could reduce his gifts to religious book markers and nothing else - you know, since nothing else matters. Something with a quote on it about having too much piety. Mathew 6 has some good stuff in it. Some of it might look good on your own tee shirt.