The Dallas-Plano Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Bill Maher - March 27

Bill Maher - March 27

Tamara G.
user 10767218
Plano, TX
Post #: 1
Bill Maher will be appearing at the AT&T Performing Arts Center Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:00PM. Tickets are pretty pricey and most of the best seats are already gone. Not sure I'll be going, but wanted to alert the group since Bill is one of us :)
Gregg
gregglll
Lewisville, TX
Post #: 66
Bill Maher will be appearing at the AT&T Performing Arts Center Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:00PM. Tickets are pretty pricey and most of the best seats are already gone. Not sure I'll be going, but wanted to alert the group since Bill is one of us :)

Thanks for the info. Bill Maher is certainly a good comedian.

However, I don't want to nitpick but just as an FYI, not everyone here considers Bill Maher "one of us".

http://www.dailyathei...­

http://skepticblog.or...­

http://scienceblogs.c...­
Randi
randibou
Plano, TX
Post #: 2
Well, at the end of his documentary Religulous, he certainly encourages Atheists to come out of the closet and speak up. So, I consider him one of us. I'm a huge fan. Sure wish I could afford to attend this event. If someone has a spare ticket and wants to take me along.........I will go and will be good company and I can even drive!!

2 years ago in LA I was very fortunate to be standing outside the Mann's Chinese Theater at just the right time when passes to the taping of Real Time were being handed out. So, I did get to see a taping of his show at CBS Studios. The panel portion was just okay for that particular night, however, I really did enjoy his monologue and his "New Rules".

I have both Religulous and the HBO special Bill Maher: But I'm Not Wrong recorded if anyone wants to borrow these DVDs.

Mary T
MaryTipper
Plano, TX
Post #: 28
I am going. I only have a single ticket, but if anyone else is going, perhaps we can carpool?

Mary
A former member
Post #: 31
Just curious. Besides being a non-believer, what must one do to be 'one of us' ?
A former member
Post #: 10
My cousin was a big 'A' ATHIEST who filled me in on all the arguments on the net against Maher a couple years ago.

1) There was a link where Maher said God was a strong possibility

Well, who cares? The word "God" is just a societal construct which mean different things to different cultures. My truth may be different from your truth or Maher's truth. I view Maher as an open minded person.

2) There was a link where Maher said atheists were too dogmatic in claiming there was no God as if they were another religion. The blogger felt he was not defining atheists accurately and painting them in a bad light.

Again, the word athiest is just another construct. And I personally know Atheists who are exactly like Maher says.

3) There is the link (provided by a poster in this thread) where Maher looks to Eastern medicine, rather than Western germ theory. (with emphasis on the word theory...not fact)

Once again, there are different constructs from different cultures and who is mr. novella to say who is right. I mean, I find a lot of wisdom in ancient chinese teachings. I applaud Maher for standing up to that conservative republican western allopathic doctor.