Josh
user 6945004
Modesto, CA
Post #: 4
I am in the process of quitting smoking. Most of the people that I know who have quit are very religious people and tell me that the church (mormons) is the only way to succeed. I don't believe them or their religion. Does anyone out there have advice on how to quit without "accepting Jebus"?
Chris Irwin D.
chrisirwindavis
Richardson, TX
Post #: 8
So if you are able to quit, does that falsify their theology?

I've never been a smoker, but I do know several peole that have been successful with the nicotine patch/gum. Those people were also proactively mindful of relapse during the times when you normally smoke (in the morning with coffee, at happy hour with friends, etc.). If you're aware that an activity will create a strong craving, then take steps to either avoid the activity during the early days quitting or substitute something else during those times (chewing gum, nicotine gum, etc.).
Dallin
user 7396430
Carrollton, TX
Post #: 30
I'm pretty sure it's just will power. They don't have the market cornered on that one. You get it by doing it.
Randi
randibou
Plano, TX
Post #: 1
Here's my advice: Purchase and smoke the worst tasting cigarettes you can find and after a while you'll be wondering why in the world you're actually smoking. It shouldn't take long to get to a point where you can hold the cigarette without lighting it, and then ultimately no longer even need to do that. Invest in toothpicks. Good luck!!
A former member
Post #: 26
The power to quit smoking comes from you and nothing else. Its a decision that you have to make and stick to it. My husband and I quit cold turkey-we set a day and just did it. I do agree with the other post about changing some habits- we stayed away from bars and other friends that were smokers during the first 2 weeks and we got really busy outside doing things where smoking was not easy to do. After the first 2 weeks we got to where we could not stand the smell of cigarettes and it made us both sick to our stomachs to smell them and be around all that smoke-yuck!!!!
Now, 6 years later I cant imagine that I ever smoked.
You will be amazed at how much better you will feel and food tastes amazing!!!!!
Just do it-you have the power!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can message me if you need a pep talk at anytime-its easier than you think.
You can do it.
Cigarettes kill.
A former member
Post #: 121
The power to quit smoking comes from you and nothing else. Its a decision that you have to make and stick to it. My husband and I quit cold turkey-we set a day and just did it. I do agree with the other post about changing some habits- we stayed away from bars and other friends that were smokers during the first 2 weeks and we got really busy outside doing things where smoking was not easy to do. After the first 2 weeks we got to where we could not stand the smell of cigarettes and it made us both sick to our stomachs to smell them and be around all that smoke-yuck!!!!

I agree with this. It's how I quit.

I will add that I also keep in mind how much fun life can be without smoking, and how much life is not when I do.

Stacey
samishavnfun
Allen, TX
Post #: 6
The only thing that worked for me was getting pregnant biggrin
But that's not an option for everybody!!!
I think Christina's plan is an excellent one.
Good luck, it's the hardest thing I ever did.
Jack Conrad I.
user 13357605
Dallas, TX
Post #: 3
Back in July of 2005 I got locked up. stopped smoking due to lack of access. However the Nicotine Fits I suffered for the next three years. was a killer at first. But like everything else in in life. if you don't practice a thing, then the thing will not matter anymore.
I am Smoke free now.
so I would have to say. stop practicing the smoking habit. Start changing everything that you do.
Because smoking is in everything that you do Now!
Start practicing new things, without bringing the smoking with you.
Plan for the Nicotine Fits, it will be there. but it will go away with practice.
Here's more power to your choice of success!
Be well
wholoves