The Dallas-Plano Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Unity Day USA is divisive

Unity Day USA is divisive

Jeffrey G.
jeffrey
Plano, TX
Post #: 8
In reponse to an article about some event called "Unity Day USA" to occur in Frisco on 9/11, I submitted the following letter to the Collin County readers letter section of the DMN.

Here is what I submitted

The report (September 6. Metro, Collin County, 1B) on the Unity Day, USA event to be held in Frisco on September 11 fails to note the huge divisiveness that runs through it. From the description of the event, it is clear that any atheists wishing to participate in Unity Day will feel very out of place. As an atheist, I am just as much a patriotic American as my more religious neighbors, but when Unity excludes me, I feel that I am being told otherwise. And that hurts.

It was published today (Saturday, Sept 10) with minor modification in the Metro section of the Collin County edition.

I'd also written an expanded version as an unsolicited guest column. They went with the letter instead (good choice, the longer piece is a bit pompous and needs more work).

I like to think that it is not my style to play the hurt victim and flag waver. But I thought that expressing things this way would have more impact than expressing my anger.
A former member
Post #: 2
You know, I think that was very brave of you, but it won't make any difference in the hearts and minds of people around here.
Have you read the nbc5i.com message board on the Pledge ruling? The general consensus is that atheists should just leave the country and let the Christians have it. It's very disheartening to me, even though I did suspect that would be the reaction.