The Dallas-Plano Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Plano in the news

Plano in the news

Prasad G.
user 12888063
Plano, TX
Post #: 12
From the article:

It was certainly the case that when I talked to several atheists together, sessions ended up feeling like self-help groups. In Dallas, five of them took turns to list examples of the constant pressures of living in a religious society. One was a businesswoman in Plano, a city that’s part of the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolis and was ranked as the fifth most conservative in America by the Bay Area Center for Voting Research. She insists that, if she came out, she would lose her business. “I’ve worked for years to get these people to trust me, to want to do business with me.” So she constantly has to bite her tongue when Plano City Council opens its meetings with prayers, which it does in defiance of the constitutional separation of church and state.

Atheism in America
By Julian Baggini. Photography by Jason Andrew and Brandon Thibodeaux

Link with FT copyright:
High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support --at-- ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms...­