addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Dallas-Plano Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Very weird conversation overheard at the Galleria

Very weird conversation overheard at the Galleria

Keith K.
user 12906323
Dallas, TX
Post #: 21
At about 0750 29 MAR 2013 CDT I happened to overhear the following conversation while reading a newspaper at a fast food eatery at the Galleria Mall.

Two young men, probably under 30, were waiting for their order. They spoke in USA accents.

A: Is the market closed today?
B: Yes.
A: Why?
B: It is Good Friday.
A: What is Good Friday?
B: A friend who is Catholic told me it is a religious holiday.
A: Oh.

Their number was called and they went to pick up their food.

I found this very bizarre. Had these two been raised in total isolation by totally secular or non Christian fundamentalist parents? Or were they doing the exchange to bait people around them to comment so they could then engage you in a pro or con religious conversation?

Regardless, it was funny!
Philip
pkizer
Plano, TX
Post #: 55
I find that both hopeful (I'm always glad when religious rites are seen as that pointless) but also a little sad (since I do consider keeping up with current events, particularly of the majority of people around you, useful and I think people should have opinions on how most profess a belief in an imaginary friend).
Matthew T.
user 12797758
Lewisville, TX
Post #: 1
Hey, if I'd remembered that lots of people took Gouda Friday off I'd have stayed home instead of dealing with the unwashed masses.