add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Dallas-Plano Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › We need some help at Collin College!

We need some help at Collin College!

A former member
Post #: 4
EDIT:Things have changed quite a bit! Be sure to read the latest of my posts to get an accurate view of what's going on. I got a little too emotional at points, but hey, I was frustrated.

Hey guys! Just checking in with our progress at establishing a secular group at Collin College (formerly quad c). I talked about it at the last (well, actually first too) meetup that I went to.

Well, school starts next Monday and the official paperwork is due at the end of September. Right now, we have three people for sure interested. We need 15.

Here's where you guys come in! If you know ANYONE remotely interested in this, please help us out! Even if you've never been to Collin before. Just because you won't be an 'official' member doesn't mean that you can't help us!

So what kind of help? Well, it looks like it'll be quite some time before we can actually hold a meeting on campus. The paperwork is ridiculous. So for starters, help with the paperwork or a place to meet would be nice (these are students, so transportation is a concern).

Of course, I don't even have to mention that time or money would be helpful.

Don't live close to any of the Collin campuses? That's cool--there are groups at UNT and UTD that would love some help. Have a child in the school system? High School groups would be great (PSHS [and all of Plano] had its first Gay-Straight Alliance in 2004).

We have 638 atheists in this group! We have an incredible opportunity here. Look what the Atheist Community of Austin has done. Austin has half the population of Plano + Dallas! Yes, Austin is a distinctly different climate than the 'burbs, but that doesn't mean we should stay invisible.

But that's slightly off topic. One step at a time. And the first step is getting the community involved. Collin College is such a unique atmosphere. I know there are more than 15 atheists at Collin, so we've gotta get the word out!

Let's do this!
A former member
Post #: 5
Oh yeah, this is what Rachel and I have so far:

Interest form:­

The more publicity the better!
Plano, TX
Post #: 220
1) I taught there for two years once so let me know if you run into too much red tape. I still have many contacts.

2) A story - There was group that started up once that was a secular "All Religions Service" sort of thing where it invited all the different religions to attend a regular semi-weekly discussion group. Once while coming through the place I saw an interesting event. This group posted a sign on an easel with their next meeting date. It was a big one (poster size obviously) and as I'm coming I down the hallway I see this gal grab it turn it around, reposting it with the backside forward. I stopped by her and ask, "What are you doing?"

Blushing a bit she says, "I'm hiding this because this is wrong."

I had to do one of those dream checks, you know, one of those moments where I simply couldn't fathom that this was reality and I had to make sure I was actually awake and not asleep in a dream. Then I replied, "You mean people from various religions sharing their thoughts and views with each other on a non-hostile basis?"

She blinks and takes off.

So, maybe you need to make your posters double-sided. But trust me in this, you're going to face trouble with postings and the like because the school is very cheap and you will run into a lot of students that never strayed too from their home and still believe it's a very small world.

Good luck. You got my support. Let me know if I can help.

A former member
Post #: 10
Well, we've made some progress.

Administration has been a little bit helpful. They're putting up officially approved flyers. However, I don't know the specific location of said flyers (nor exactly when they're putting them up), so I can't patrol just in case they get taken down. I am on the lookout, though.

What we really want to do is set up a table somewhere on campus, but only official organizations can use college we can't set up a table to recruit members unless we go off campus. If that's not a violation of free speech, I'm not sure what is.

Oh, and the Lucas Christian Academy (whatever that is) can offer free iPads. So if you have the money, it's all good.

However, it seems like administration is willing to be flexible if we get the paperwork in early. We're working on that too. But once we start having meetings, we can get more members!

We've found one faculty advisor at the Plano campus, but we'd much rather have an advisor at every campus (or at least at the Plano, McKinney, and Frisco campuses). Help with that would be appreciated.

With student groups, there's a tendency for them to fizzle once a leader goes away from the school. I really want to avoid that after I leave Collin. The best way (right now) to avoid that is to get adults, the community, and (unfortunately) people with money involved.

Hence my passioned plea! I'm also want to try to get the UTA, UTD, and UNT student groups involved, as well as the Church of Freethought, Fellowship of Freethought, you guys, and even the ACA if they want to.

Any help is appreciated at this point :D
Plano, TX
Post #: 221
There's a group at UTD called ASH - Atheists, Secularist, Humanists already. You might want to join forces with them. I'll find you the current pres (or someone will post it here as they get organized for the new semester).
A former member
Post #: 11
Already found them! :D I missed their Flying Spaghetti Monster potluck, but I'll be at their first meeting on Friday.
A former member
Post #: 14
Ugh. This might get ugly.

Went to the first UTDASH meeting, had an incredible time, and met some amazing people.
Got our constitution done
Made flyers

So here's the e-mail exchange I had with administration today (abridged)
Me: We've been working hard and we've got our Constitution done! Can you take a look at it? We've also found a faculty adviser. I've sent him the paperwork. Could we distribute the attached flyers? And finally, for our second meeting, can we use a room on campus? By that time we should know our officers and have a decent member list.

Me: ...but we can't complete the paperwork until we have 15 members.

Them: Right, you can recruit if you're a new organization. You can't advertise any activities though

Me: Um, ok. Do I fill out the paperwork first, then ask for a room?

Their response:
Actually, you need to contact facilities prior to sending in the form so Student Life will know where you are going to meet. Also, you can't post your constitution or anything relating to your organization until it has been approved by the Student Life office so please remove the constitution, meetings, and other information from your website. You are putting the horse before the cart...slow down dude! :) Also, you will have the opportunity to request a website and a generic e-mail through Collin College via your Registration Paperwork. In order to post info on Facebook, you need to friend Michael Gregorash. You will learn all of this and more in the required training session. Have you signed up yet??

I'm not slowing down. There's too much work to do. I'm also not taking anything off of a website that I paid for. The only mention of Collin College is that we're not affiliated with them.

I'm about to blow a gasket. How is this not a violation of freedom of speech?

I'm getting ready to break out the chalk, write the info for the meeting everywhere, and record them hosing it off tomorrow. Because we're not allowed to advertise a dinner at fucking Chili's.
A former member
Post #: 15
Oh that reminds me, I printed about 20 flyers and posted them on the only bulletin board that everyone can use on Friday morning. That flyer was advertising our first meeting tomorrow at Chili's. They were gone in an hour or two.

Because we didn't fill out the off-campus activity approval paperwork which needs to be filed 8 business days ahead of time.

Sure, it might be a liability thing...but there seriously has to be a better way. Student Life has been worthless.
Plano, TX
Post #: 223
Welcome to the party!

See you on the other side. biggrin
A former member
Post #: 18
Don't you just love living in the bible belt-NOT!!!!!!! PLease don't give up-I don't know what I can do to help but my daughter went to Collin College and I'll forward this to her and see if she has any suggestions.

IF you were advertising turning water into wine it would get done.

Its not like this everywhere Dallas is just full of close minded Xtians.