The Dallas-Plano Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › We need some help at Collin College!

We need some help at Collin College!

A former member
Post #: 1
Sounds like you are running into a number of obstacles here, which is sad and unsurprising. If You need signatures, letters written, or phone calls made please let me know. I used to teach at a community college and while there is a lot of red tape and bureaucratic nonsense to deal with, sometimes there is also a lot of room to maneuver if you can get in contact with the right people.

Like in any other political arena, if enough people are making their demands loudly enough, eventually you'll get fair and equitable treatment. Keep up the good work.
A former member
Post #: 16
Thanks for the support.

To be fair, I'm fairly sure that they do this to everyone...but of course there's no way of knowing without asking the other group leaders. It's just so much red tape!

Right now, as far as the school group is concerned, we need 15 students who are attending for at least 1 hour. As far as the community/Meetup group, anyone can come to that, and I'd encourage anyone interested to come.
New Haven, CT
Post #: 108
I went through the same red tape when I started a bioethics club at UT Dallas. Starting an organization is a daunting task and there will be many roadblocks, but just keep at it. SEBI (Students Exploring Bioethical Issues) went from 6 students to 70 students in one year and the effort was totally worth it. We faced the same issues as you: we needed at least 20 members to register, prepare the constitution, advertise very aggressively, and accomplish all this with very limited support from the school. What really helped us was that UTD allows you to hold an "interest meeting" before registering as a club wherein you can book a room, order food (student government covers 50% of the expenses), and advertise on campus as long as another organization can umbrella over you. I would try and see if CC has a similar program. Additionally, you might want to contact other organizations on campus that might be okay with helping you out while you get started with regards to advertising and booths.

Btw, I am also a member of the UTD ASH club, so the next time you're there, definitely find me and say hello. Best wishes for your new club!! Please keep us posted.
A former member
Post #: 17
Good news! The facilities manager approved our first on campus meeting! I'll schedule it when it's official from student life.

So, my complaints aren't really towards student life. It's more toward the weirdly written policies.

Oh, and aektam, I'll see you on Friday :D
Don D
Dallas, TX
Post #: 10
Kevin B.,
Good work! I'm not sure if I can be helpful since I am not affiliated with any educational institution, but let me know if you need something.

Don, the Astronomy Guy
A former member
Post #: 20
Alright, another update.

We have our first two meetings scheduled and rooms reserved, but we're not approved to advertise the meeting yet. However, Tim (the Pastor from the North Texas Church of Freethought) will be making an appearance at 6:00 this Tuesday evening at Collin College's Plano campus :D

Again, I must stress that my initial frustrations were misplaced. I was angry at the policies, not the people. I was unfairly harsh on Student Life at times (although the policies need some serious revising).

Once we're able to advertise our meeting, I can give more details. However, I would like to stress who is eligible for membership in our organization:

• Alumni of Collin County schools
  • Current residents of Collin County
  • Any other members of the non-religious movement

If you're eligible for membership in our organization, perhaps meeting somewhere around Spring Creek and Jupiter at a time close to 6:00 this Tuesday (9/14) would be wise. Just a thought, though! Idle speculation.
A former member
Post #: 21
Alright! We submitted our paperwork last Friday. We're on our way to being official!

We had our first publicized meeting last Wednesday. Great stuff.

Tonight, we had a business/admin meeting. 'Fun' stuff.

Afterward, we chalked up one of the entrances ('Don't believe in God? You're not alone', among other statements). An administrator requested we stop.

Tomorrow will be fun!

However, we will also be hosting a meeting tomorrow night maybe around 6:00 in the Spring Creek and Jupiter area. If you need specific directions, I can help you out with that.

See previous post for membership eligibility!

A former member
Post #: 2,948
I live in Collin County!!! woooooot.

I'm nowhere near college age anymore tho. :)
A former member
Post #: 22
That's the wonderful thing about community colleges...people of all ages are welcome!

Especially if you're not a student, we'd love to have you :)
A former member
Post #: 24
Alright, one semester down! We have a good group of students who are enthusiastic about the cause.

Highlights were going to the Texas Freethought Convention and seeing the Christopher Hitchens debate, as well as getting to know other people at Collin.

For this next semester, we're starting fast and hosting our first guest speaker! Dr. Darrel Ray will be coming over from 5:00-7:00 in room C104 at the Spring Creek Campus. We want people in the area to come!

Collin is located at:
2800 E. Spring Creek Parkway
Plano, TX 75074

A map of our campus is­
Room C104 is near the center of the campus.