addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Dallas-Plano Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › RANT/RAVE everyone!

RANT/RAVE everyone!

Hana
user 13274513
Richardson, TX
Post #: 5
I thought we could keep this discussion as an outlet for everyone, who feels the need to spill out they daily frustration...or anything..
since we live here in "the belt" (sounds like a punishment LOLOL)

and PLEASE, if anyone have something to say about someone's thoughts in here, just BE NICE, no need to trample anyone.

fire away...
Hana
user 13274513
Richardson, TX
Post #: 6
here is one...

i like the "chrismass" tree in my house...it smells sooo good, and a nice project to make decorations with my girls...
i dont like the "mandatory" present part....i get them what they need/want any time of the year...if u need a shawl then go and get one!...why do one have to wait for it all them year?! i just dont get that..

if u like a person, and u want too....give him/her a present when u want...why wait for it till a certain day?!

same with the valentines day...
funny, coz that day is "made up" ONLY for LOVERS...but nowadays even kids do it...
i realy got a problem with that...
and then again...if you love someone, why on earth u got 2 wait till that day to give anything...??!!

do it when ever it feels the right time...

btw, girls like flowers (and u gone be reciprocated for it, wink wink) on ANY day of the year!!!
A former member
Post #: 2
I like a holiday tree - it's not xian and it is traditional. I like my family to know where our traditions come from and that includes even the ridiculous ones. The Christ was not even born on the 25th - that was borrowed from another religion. The whole thing is a sham, gifts and all. Those that celebrate the seasons and customs based on a time when those seasons meant life or death for real people are arguably something worth remembering. We're only one strong sunspot/solar flare from being right back there again. It's good to remember the traditions that kept humans alive before technology. Such should be celebrated 365. survivor man et al are odes to not forgetting how to survive. Some scifi shows are recently delving into that territory as well.
Any tradition that celebrates survival - well, that's a good one. Even if it is the survival of the sun (god) that you celebrate. I don't advocate that we all turn wiccan, but it won't hurt any of us to know how our forefathers survived the cold winters with little food.
Hana
user 13274513
Richardson, TX
Post #: 7
agreed :)

and maybe it is coming...soon :)...some say
Hana
user 13274513
Richardson, TX
Post #: 8
Matt B.
user 11413756
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 6
I needed a drool rag at the end. Also, Michio is such a sensationalist.
A former member
Post #: 5
I agree about Michio, but disagree also. If you already understand what he is talking about.. I agree. The vast majority of Americans don't ... he is addressing the largest common denominator to bring science mainstream. This is laudable.
Hana
user 13274513
Richardson, TX
Post #: 9
yes, he is, but if what he says its true, that they misscalculated by a factor of 20!!!!
that is HUGE!...not 1 or 2...but 20!
A former member
Post #: 8
Swilling the last (probably) of my Oktoberfest bier, I thought about this again. We now have two space probes which are dedicated to monitoring the Sun's activity. If they now think they underestimated by a factor of 20, I'm pretty much going to go along with this... we have more information about the Sun this year than ANY year ever. Fox news is phuqued, but their summary was not too bad... it's not just fearmongering, though they think scientists can fix this preparation deficit. I work in telecommunications... there IS no redundancy in commercial systems. Who can afford that? I remember in 1994/5 when a sat went MIA... major problems. That put some redundancy in the system, but if the birds get wiped, there is no redundancy... in 2012 there will be a lot of people saying 'here NASA, it's a huge check, please put this big bird in the sky for us' ... they should be selling insurance tickets now to help pay for stuff. Well, if the worst predictions come true.

Yes, Michio talks like everyone is a 4th grader, but if he can get Fox newscasters to understand science he's doing something right... yikes