addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Dallas Sci-Fi Book Club Message Board › The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.....Continued!

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.....Continued!

A former member
Post #: 6
When I got home last night, I realized how ill prepared I was for the discussion. There are so many things from the book that I wanted to bring up, but I just couldn't articulate myself very well.

Anyway, Nathan brought up the excerpt from Chapter 13 about Barney living in Detroit, and wishing he was the head of advertising in New York. I started thinking about this point because this is well after Barney has ingested Chew-Z. I feel that Dick was using Chew-Z to represent the holy Eucharist, and that by ingesting Chew-Z the communicant gains some semblance of immortality. What I find fascinating is that never does Dick insinuate that by taking Chew-Z will you gain access to heaven. As is the case with Barney, in his version of heaven he is still unhappy with his life. Is Dick trying to say that Heaven and Hell are relative states of our own psyche? My impression is that Dick doesn't necessarily believe in the orthodox definition of either Heaven or Hell, and that we as individual minds have the power to create our own heaven and hell without a middle-man (i.e. Priest, Rabbi, etc.).

Let me know what you think. I may be completely barking up the wrong tree, but I just can't seem to get this book out of my head.

Also, I really liked Mick's insight into religion and empathy. I've always seemed to miss that part of the book, and I was glad he brought that to light.