Dallas Sci-Fi Book Club Message Board › New Book Choices -- Add selections of your choice in the comments and then w

New Book Choices -- Add selections of your choice in the comments and then we will vote

A former member
Post #: 27
Add selections of your choice in the comments and then we will vote
John N.
user 13916568
Dallas, TX
Post #: 1
Haven't made it to a meeting yet but I have noticed that most of the books are older. One of the reasons I hadn't made it out yet was I didn't want to go back and reread Ender's Game or Startide Rising or similar. I'd like to see newer ones and I think it would be more likely to lead to everyone having just read it and having fresh opinions. Here are some good contenders from just the last couple of years.

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
Brilliance by Marcus Sakey
2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson
Blue Remembered Earth by Alastair Reynolds
Soft Apocalypse by Will McIntosh
Home Fires by Gene Wolfe
John N.
user 13916568
Dallas, TX
Post #: 2
Haven't made it to a meeting yet but I have noticed that most of the books are older. One of the reasons I hadn't made it out yet was I didn't want to go back and reread Ender's Game or Startide Rising or similar.
Found the already read list and saw that there were quite a few more recent releases on there. I also noticed there were a few that were more fantasy than scifi like American Gods and The Atrocity Archives. If those are cool then I might also add Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson, Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor and maybe even some KJ Parker. The first two have hard scifi elements within a fantasy story and Parker writes fantasy that I think would appeal to scifi readers.
H. R. P.
user 122174372
Fort Worth, TX
Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge.
A former member
Post #: 2
British Summertime by Paul Cornell
Roy A.
RoyAA
Dallas, TX
Post #: 9
Some discussion.
- I think it is an interesting idea to try and read mostly books from the past few years. Not sure I would strictly limit it to two years, but certainly recent.
- I would appreciate fi when people recommend books, they would include a short idea of what the book is and why it is interesting.
- I looked up the previous suggestions and found a few that sounded like I would enjoy them. In particular, Brilliance, Home Fires, Deepness in the Sky, and British Summertime. I have read London Falling by Paul Cornwell who wrote British Summertime, and thought it interesting in the vein of David Aaronovitch's novels (these are British procedural crime novels about the police branches involved in magical crimes). If people are interested, I would recommend the first of the Aaronovitch books, Midnight Riot (also only 2 years old).

So in the spirit of keeping fairly recent, I will suggest the following three. I might have other suggestions but wanted to see if the group wants to stick to modern or continue working the entire previous history of SF (and perhaps fantasy).

- 14 By Peter Clines. This is a suspense novel about an unusual apartment building that has SF and horror elements. Most of the story is uncovering oddities about the building, but why? I found this a great read.
- Implied Spaces by Walter Jon Williams. Williams has been writing for many years and is still writing and keeping current. This book starts as a sand and sandal adventure, but rapidly changes to an SF novel of pocket universes and post-singularity AIs.
- Equations of Life by Simon Morden. I read this when it came out (4 years ago?) and it was an entertaining read meshing theoretical physic with exciting actions sequences. It is set in a future when things have fallen apart but not to the apocalyptic level.

So, I'd like some feedback. Do others feel we should concentrate, for a while at least, on the more recent books and writers of SF?
Ryan
user 4791844
Dallas, TX
I've recently started reading the Foundation series by Asimov, and I'd be interested in discussing the Foundation trilogy: "Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation."

I'm open to either recent or older books. Anything that's really good that I haven't read yet, and there are still a lot of great older books that I have yet to read.
Melanie C.
user 12012545
Dallas, TX
Post #: 23
I'm ok with both older and newer ones, although a year of recent books intrigues me. We actually had requests for more fantasy type books at one of the more recent meetings. I will leave it up to Nathan to argue specifics on genre though. :D
Audrey
user 107272872
Richardson, TX
I haven't read these, but I would be interested in reading these in the near future.

Fiend by Peter Stenson. Blurbs and reviews make it sound like an interesting take on the zombie apocalypse trend. Also, its a relatively new book.

The Terminal Experiment by Robert J. Sawyer. I have read a lot of Sawyer's stuff in the past year. His writing is very engaging and fast-paced, while still dealing with issues in science that pose moral/ethical dilemmas to humanity (i.e., extraterrestrial life, the ethics of time travel, etc.).
Jeff E.
user 11352834
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 6
I like a mix of newer and older titles, as I am not quite as well read in scifi as I would like to be. For some oldies that I have not yet read, I would add Jack Vance's "The Dying Earth" series and L. Sprague de Camp's "Lest Darken Fall". Roy mentioned both of these at the last meeting and they sounded interesting. The first is set in the far future, where the Sun is on its last legs and technology has advanced to be indistinguishable from magic. The second is a sort of "Connecticut Yankee in ancient Rome" time travel story.