addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Dallas Sci-Fi Book Club Message Board › The Left Hand of Darkness

The Left Hand of Darkness

A former member
Post #: 2
Great discussion tonight! As always, I thought we had a great meeting. One interesting point I forgot to bring up at the discussion, incest was socially acceptable for the Ekumen. Any thoughts?
A former member
Post #: 2
Maybe I'm wrong, but the way I remember, it was the Gethenians who allowed incest (like the brothers who vowed kemmering).

But after the first child, they were no longer permitted to be kemmering mates.

If the Ekumen was also OK with that, I missed it (the Ekumen was the council on Hain, right?)
A former member
Post #: 3
That's right. But, Gethenians still allowed incest; just as long as it did not bear a child. Was this because the sex drive was so strong during kemmer? If I remember correctly, sexual congress was frequent between Gethenians. Also, the instances when sexual contact was denied while a Gethenian was in kemmer, usually left one of the party very dejected and distraught.