Dallas User Experience Group Message Board › National Day of Civic Hacking 2013, June 1 through 2

National Day of Civic Hacking 2013, June 1 through 2

A former member
Post #: 142
Just a heads up: the Hack for Change organization is putting on a National Day of Civic Hacking event for June 1 to 2 this year. Under the auspices of Fort Worth Makerspace, I have begun putting together a DFW instance.

For those unfamiliar, this event seeks to connect engaged citizens with open data sources in order to stimulate solutions to everyday problems and opportunities for life improvement. The sort of data involved includes weather, land management, population, traffic, utilities, etc. I have posted numerous sources on the Eventbrite listing to get discussion and planning started. Note, however, that starting projects before the event is discouraged and can lead to disqualification (trust me, judges can tell).

This isn’t the typical hackathon that we’re used to here. It will bring in people from backgrounds we don’t often see at hackathons: gardeners, geocachers, green energy proponents, sustainable living advocates, etc. The kind of cool event we’d see in Austin but not usually here. So this is our opportunity to change that. ;)

With that said, I’d like to find a different sort of venue. I’ve approached the cities of Grapevine, Coppell and Irving so far and will start really beating the bushes to find potential venues and partners. IMO too many events happen in Plano and Dallas proper, and far too few in Fort Worth—so the idea here is to compromise and start the venue search in the middle. No response so far from the cities approached, but I won’t give up easily!

I can secure sponsorship from Nokia and Microsoft, and have approached TI, TTI, AT&T and American Airlines also. Open to any sponsor that fits the hackathon goals or can provide support. The same goes for platforms: I will be specifically supporting Nokia and Windows Phone, but will also reach out to other groups. Feel free to share this event to those you know as well.

An organization committee is slowly coming together, beginning with members of the new Fort Worth Makerspace (I am a co-founder and director). I’ll target the central area for planning meetings as well, to make it fair and easy on most.

If you’re interested, go ahead and sign up at Eventbrite while we identify a venue. Hope to see many if not all of you there!