A former member
Post #: 1
Hi,

I am not really a handy man - and keep debating on where should I buy a reasonable coop that doesn't have a huge shipping price. I bought the simple WARE hutch but I don't feel safe with the night predators, so i stapled hardware cloth around the sides and front. I am looking for a good coop that would be great for the TX winters as well. Any suggestions are always welcomed :-)

Thank You
dan P.
Chickenman-Dan
Quinlan, TX
Post #: 226
If you have 4 or less birds, a child's playhouse with hareware cloth on the windows and a modified door will work very well - and it's easy to hose down for cleaning. You can find on craigslist, garage sale, or thrift stores. I would suggest a chain link dog run with a sun screen over the top for a very secure and easy setup.
A former member
Post #: 2
Thank you - this is a brilliant idea! smile
A former member
Post #: 58
I love the chain link dog cages. It's 4 sections of 6'x6' fence on a square pipe frame, one section has a narrow full height gate. I use this for my Labs, and another around my compost pile to keep out the dogs and varmints. I put corners of mine on concrete bricks so frame doesn't touch ground. Easier to weed eat around them and last longer. Think I'll use another for chickens later on. Got mine at home depot but shop around for best price.
A former member
Post #: 3
Ahh - thank you. I saw that at home depot over the weekend ... that's a nice idea. Thank you so much!
A former member
Post #: 92
I have a great portable coop for sale, that I no longer need.

You won't find a coop quite like this one. I designed and built it myself. This coop system works well for up to seven normal sized chickens. It is also very attractive and built to resemble a rural barn. I named it the Chicken Ranch.

This coop is designed to be airy for hot & humid climates - to protect the chickens against the hot Texas Summers. It is also predator resistant and I have never had a predator issue with it, even though we live on acreage with creeks and no fences. It will house healthy, happy chickens with minimal work.

The coop is portable (chicken tractor) and can be moved around the yard. Yet it is heavy 2x4 construction. I have taken this coop to Lowe's, Home Depot, and other chicken shows on a standard utility trailer. It will last many years, is easy to clean, and requires very little maintenance.

The coop box is 4' x 4'. The pen area is 4' x 12'. There are 4 nesting boxes, roosting rods, solar powered lights, operable doors on both ends, opening roofs on both sides, polycarbonate roof panels, and a removable tarp for the pen area.

$650.00. Call Mark at 214-550-5017
See photos and ad on Craigs List - Link