add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Dallas Backyard Poultry Meetup Group Message Board General Discussion › Grinding feed for large flocks.

Grinding feed for large flocks.

A former member
Post #: 115
In the last couple of months I have been buying whole grains, proteins and supplements and grinding my own chicken feed after planning this for over a year. All organic and purchased in bulk from Coyote Creek Farms in Elgin. With bagged organic feed, depending where I get it, the cost is somewhere around $35.00 or more. By grinding my own I can make organic feed for $24.50 per bag. Cheaper? Yes and no. Here is the breakdown.

I got my mill free from a pasture where it was rusting. It is made by C. S. Bell and is a Model 60 Power Grain Mill which will grind 300 or more lbs of coarse grain per hour. I had to replace the internal parts for $200.00 and buy the motor, pulley, switches and wiring plus build a stand. All together it cost me just under $600.00. (new HD 1 ½ HP motor and new parts)

To buy the mill and all the parts new including shipping would be around $1200.00. Not something that would pay out unless you have a lot of chickens or other livestock to grind for.

In addition I purchased 8 55 gallon screw-top barrels and 6 smaller screw-top barrels to store grain and supplements to keep out moisture and rodents. Plus various other containers, scoops and a hanging scale. $400.00

How many tons of feed will I have to grind to pay out my investment? For mine at the lower price – 5 tons. Buying all new – 8 tons.

By the end of next year I will have my flock size to the 5 ton per year size and so for me it will pay out sometime in the next 18 months.

Cost effective if your flock is large enough to have a reasonable payout.
You know how fresh your feed is and control the formula.
Formulas can be easily changed depending on conditions and whether layers, broilers, chicks, winter, summer, etc.

More time invested in grinding and mixing.
Not feasible for a small flock.
Initial investment required including buying a ton or more of grain at a time.

For anyone wanting more information about the above feel free to PM me for formulas, photos and answers to any questions.
Allison Romberg G.
Dallas, TX
Post #: 27
Wowee! You're a real DIYer! Way to go!