The Dallas Backyard Poultry Meetup Group Message Board Chicken Problems and Illnesses › Dirty Butt Syndrome extreme, help!

Dirty Butt Syndrome extreme, help!

maitri s.
user 7718490
Dallas, TX
Post #: 5
I have Rhode Island Red who has been suffering from dirty butt syndrome of dried feces. About a month ago I cleaned it all up and cutaway the offending feathers. It seemed better for awhile but has come back with a vengeance. Now the skin around the area is very red. She does not seem very energetic or happy. Also she hasn't laid during all this. (I am not sure if she is too old now cuz she hasn't laid for a very long time since she also molted last fall) I am worried. I have researched it a bit and wonder if it might vent gleet. Anyone have any ideas and also suggestions for remedies? Thanks, Maitri
Allison Romberg G.
agessner
Dallas, TX
Post #: 51
The home remedy I heard for pasty butt is to isolate the hen from the rest of the flock and put her on a diet of cornmeal and oat bran. After 2-3 days it should clear up. If that doesn't work, call a vet?
Lori
user 10446596
Dallas, TX
Post #: 156
One of our hens had a similar condition last year, and it was due to an internal infection that needed a round of antibiotics to clear up. It was amazing how fast she perked up after the first two doses of Clavamox.

You could try Dr. Shurtleff; I know he sees chickens.

http://www.dcvh.net/...­
Lori
user 10446596
Dallas, TX
Post #: 157
Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention. When I took my chicken to Dr. Ahumada last year for her bum problem, in addition to the Clavamox, he also prescribed this topical antibiotic:

http://www.vetstreet....­

It's a powder, and you just "puff" it onto the affected area.

It isn't for use in animals that are going into the food chain, but for our pet hen (who wasn't laying either), it's fine to use. You can get it over the counter, without prescription, too.

I used it on our two hens with fowl pox last fall to help prevent secondary bacteria infections of their pox lesions. It was much easier to use than trying to dab anything on their squirmy heads, and I didn't worry if a bit ended up puffing into their eyes, either, since this medication is used for eye infections. This was helpful since some of the pox lesions were right on the edge of one chicken's eyes.

Good to have in your chicken first aid kit.
David M.
user 14617739
Dallas, TX
Post #: 18
Vent gleet can be serious if not handled properly. You might want to take a systemic approach and treat both internal and external symptoms. A lot of times, it is caused by a fungal or yeast based infection. Also, make sure the bird has a place to roost so it is not sleeping on a flat surface where the night time poops accumulate in the feathers. Here is a link to an article in BYC with some pics and treatment suggestions: http://www.backyardch...­
maitri s.
user 7718490
Dallas, TX
Post #: 6
Thank you all for your suggestions etc. I am thinking there is definitely an underlying condition. I am not sure it is vent gleet cuz there is no really bad smell like they say there will be (nothing out of the ordinary!) But I am wondering if there is an infection. I tried calling around for clavamox but couldn't find it. Is it only by prescription? I couldn't find availability for Apralan either. I am trying to the other natural remedies but I am really thinking I need something more. I guess I will call the one vet recommended in the thread. I have never taken my chickens to a vet. Will keep you all updated. Thanks so much for your help!
David M.
user 14617739
Dallas, TX
Post #: 19
Also, adding some ACV and crushed garlic to their drinking water will help with gut health and improve their immune system.
Lori
user 10446596
Dallas, TX
Post #: 158
I tried calling around for clavamox but couldn't find it. Is it only by prescription?
Yes, I believe that's so.

Good luck with your chicken!
Allison Romberg G.
agessner
Dallas, TX
Post #: 52
Possible alternative to antibiotics... probiotics!
maitri s.
user 7718490
Dallas, TX
Post #: 7
Lucille update: Well she is definitely not turning a corner. I have an appt. with the vet for 8am tomorrow (thursday) that was the earliest I could get. Based on past chicken experience, I don't know if she will make it. I hate seeing her suffering! She is at the back of the coop her head sunk into her body looking miserable....yesterday we cleaned her up with Epsom salt spray on her butt ( as suggested in articles) we also gave her some Epsom salt solution (again as suggested) I also have used a little VetRX on her to as a general tonic. Her butt is clean now-don't know if she has even pooped since we cleaned her up before we put her to bed last night. That area doesn't look so angry but it doesn't look healthy either-very discolored. I have given her ACV in her water and a little molasses the past few days which yesterday she lapped up but since her Epsom salt drink I don't think she is drinking all that much even though they said she would drink a lot after that. She is a bit wobbly on her feet and doesn't appear to have the strength to get up to the roost. She did peck at her food and ate some apple. I've tried to get probiotics in her but I am not sure if I was truly successful. My chickens don't really like mash or yogurt. They are very finicky eaters! (That is for another posting cuz that too is driving me crazy!) I don't know what else to do. I am going to go get the puff spray this afternoon but I am thinking she really needs a big boost of antibiotics. It is so hard seeing her this way.