Dallas Brights Family Meetup Message Board › I am looking for educational materials...

I am looking for educational materials...

Keith
user 4053342
Dallas, TX
Post #: 3
Hi All! First, I want to say that I have not been active in this group in quite a while since life at our house has been very busy this year. I miss meeting up with everyone and hope that things will be less busy in the new year.

The purpose of this post is to look for any suggestions folks might have on books or movies that cover the big bang and beginning of the universe. I am looking for something that would be age appropriate for a 5 year old. Due to the young age, a movie would me much better.

Unfortunately, I need to "de-program" my son since there is just a huge amount of influence here in Texas from people who like to share their superstitious belief systems. I am sure that I am not the only freethinker out there that has needed to deal with this and I hope that some others may have some experience with this and suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Keith
Stacey
samishavnfun
Allen, TX
Post #: 1
I was curious about this so I did some web surfing, as you probably did, and I didn't find any cartoonish videos that seemed appropriate a child under 7, which is a shame because you can find Noah's Ark cartoons everywhere. If you find anything, please post it.

I have a 10 year old, and part of the reason that he has no difficulty in believing that no god exists is not because he was taught the big bang theory at a young age. I'm not even sure that's comprehensible to a 5 year old. It's because I've always been upfront with him about the existence of common characters like Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and so on. Depending on what you encourage your young thinkers to believe in when they are forming that type of understanding, it might be difficult for a 5 year old to understand how there can be a Tooth Fairy, but not a God.

So if you teach your kids from a young age that there is no such thing in Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, or other commonly accepted magical characters that our society encourages, it shouldn't be hard to explain to them that the same concept can be applied to God. And maybe the big bang theory will come up later when they're capable of understanding something that complex. Maybe just having posters of evolution would help. DK has some wonderfully illustrated books in the childrens section of any book store. Complete with posters : ) We have 'em.
Shannon C.
ShannonCroft
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 11
Hi Keith - we sure miss seeing you and your adorable kids around! There is a 3 book series about this topic. Born with a Bang, From Lava to Life, and Mammals who Morph. We have the first two books, and it might be a too complex for a regular 5 year old, but not a genius like John! wink
Jennifer B.
user 3155267
Whitesboro, TX
Post #: 4
Thanks for the reply, Shannon! As I was checking those books out, I also found this one that claims is for younger viewers: http://www.amazon.com...­