Dallas Sustainable Living & Organic Gardening Message Board › Any Canning Classes being offered in the Dallas area?

Any Canning Classes being offered in the Dallas area?

Robin
robin_inplano
Plano, TX
Post #: 363
I've been looking everywhere for one of these. I think it would be a popular meetup topic--particularly if we could get a class on a weekend. Is there anyone in this group who knows how to can and could do a meetup on the topic? You're welcome to use my kitchen in Murphy as a venue.
Terry J.
user 13819228
Greenville, TX
Post #: 10
Robin:
I found people who could/would teach a canning class last summer but could not find a place to have it that would allow practical experience. Anyone know of a kitchen?
Terry
Robin
robin_inplano
Plano, TX
Post #: 364
Robin:
I found people who could/would teach a canning class last summer but could not find a place to have it that would allow practical experience. Anyone know of a kitchen?
Terry

I heard that the new Plano green center on Plano Parkway will let you rent meeting space for $15, and a little extra if you want to use their kitchen. That might be a good option.

Another option... which would be *free*... is that my house has a reasonably sized kitchen. There are 3 counter areas, and I could add a folding table for additional space. It might get a little crowded but I think we could get at least 10 people in there. Also, if we have any slides or videos on dvd, we could have those playing on a good sized screen that is also viewable from the kitchen area--which might be useful if there are some slow/'waiting' points in the canning process. And I'm just off Plano Parkway/544 in Murphy.

So, that's another option... I think the Plano center would probably be able to accommodate more people... so if we're looking at 15+ people, that might be better.

I think Center for Spiritual Living and Central Market might also have kitchens. CM might be expensive to rent. Center for Spiritual Living has a small kitchen but lots of space around it and I think people can see into it. They also have an AV setup if we wanted to run videos.

In addition to canning, perhaps we could also look at drying as well... e.g., drying beans for longer-term storage. Or perhaps that's another workshop. :-)