Sandra G.
user 39797662
Dallas, TX
Post #: 1
I purchased some acreage in Commerce, TX - raw land - have owned it about a year and done nothing w/ it so far. I have always had this dream of forming a community farm - now I have the land and am wondering if this dream is something that could be realized and if there is interest for such a thing. In my research, I have not found any working models of the idea. It would run as a co-owned farm where each member would share in the decisions, workload and harvests - not a co-op where one would pay a monthly fee then collect on the harvest when it became avail. I pitched the idea to a few people in my inner-circles but the response was "you set it up then, we will come". But, that is equal to a "little red hen" scenario (and, if you know the story, you know how that turns out). So, I thought to pitch the idea to this group. Would anyone be interested in sharing a community farm on 40 acres in Commerce, TX. The group would be limited to 14 participants/co-owners who would all collaborate and vote on ideas as well as share in the work-load and harvests. Send me a message, if interested, and I will send more details.
Soleil
user 61802302
Tyler, TX
Post #: 4
Please contact 8054584411. Soleil

Thesagemind@gmail.com

Would like to collaborate on the development
Do you plan aquaponics or what sort of farm ?
Do you plan on sustainable methods and permaculture ?
Have a well?
Any idea about financing the projects ?
Any idea about the marketing of the harvest. ?
You have a good start ? cool
Judy H.
user 8242630
Celeste, TX
Post #: 3
I have thought the same from time to time. Would love to find people to help on a co-op community, but 40 acres is not much, especially for for many people. I don't think you would find it very sustainable, especially if you wanted to raise livestock. We live on 16 acres (just my family of 3) and find it impossible as of now. Animals have to have feed and you have to raise it as well as them. Good luck in your endeavor, and welcome to Hunt County. However, don't forget the lesson of the pilgrims... they moved here and had cooperative farming and it didn't work. Only after each family was responsible for their own piece of land did we have the First Thanksgiving.
Sandra G.
user 39797662
Dallas, TX
Post #: 2
Thanks for your interest Soleil - yes I have ideas to everything you asked. I will include you on the e-mail when I send out more info. For now, I am just fishing to see if there in an interest that merits putting in the effort to go forward.

To Judy: yes, I hear all that you say and have, often, also thought of the Pilgrims and realize that if this sort of thing worked, there would probably already be something like this going on. On the other hand, I have heard stories of this sort of thing happening in other parts of the states - just have not found detailed info to model it with. Also, back when there were real farming “communities” it seems people were able to use their individual talents to help others instead of this “all for me” society we live in now.
I find it interesting that it is a challenge for your family to live on 16 acres now. We live on 3 acres w/ a family of 5, just fine. But, you may be striving for more sustainability than I am. We cherish the sustainability that is available to us with this life-style and simply fill in what we can’t provide for ourselves with modern conveniences (like buying items at the grocery store when there is just not enough man power or resources to produce it ourselves or turning on the water faucet when the rain barrels run dry, etc). With pasture rotation and keeping the animals to the limits needed for our own homesteading purpose, we are able to feed everyone just fine. We do go to the feed store to feed the chickens since they can’t live on pasture alone. Plus, we shop for our produce at farmer’s markets to supplement what we are not growing on our homestead. So, based on our lifestyle, I imagine 40 acres would be do-able for up to 10-12 families. But, you make a good point which proves that everyone would have their own view of what they would want out of a community farm and the ideas could vary greatly from one spectrum to the other which is why it would have to be comprised of a group of open-minded individuals willing to work well with others. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it.
Gene B.
user 10957869
Irving, TX
Post #: 1
I am very interested in learning more about your community farm, and would love to discuss it with you. Please include me on your email list.
Sandra G.
user 39797662
Dallas, TX
Post #: 4
Thanks for your reply Gene. This thing is up and down as I am finding it hard to find people willing to commit to such a venture. I am proposing a large commitment and semi-change of life-style for those who would be involved. I will keep you in mind if it ever gets going.