Dallas Sustainable Living & Organic Gardening Message Board › smaller elements of sustainability?

smaller elements of sustainability?

Rob D
user 69014632
Richardson, TX
Post #: 2
Hi,

I can see how permaculture and living off the grid are major goals of sustainability. But I also see them as as giant leaps. I would like to know if other people "sweat the small stuff".

Quickly:

Is it OK to use a clothes dryer? I do not own one, but rather a couple deluxe Container Store drying racks.

I don't have a lawn not so much because I dislike turf (which I do) but rather I do not like the noise and air pollution created by power lawn equipment. (I've tried several reel mowers and on perfect turf they work, but then you are still trampling on the soil...not good for permaculture.)

I walk use a bicycle whenever possible. Probably average around 2,000 driving miles per year. How many miles are acceptable? Of course, my car only gets around 20 mpg so that needs to be factored in. I guess it comes down to: How many gallons of gasoline can we feel good about consuming annually?

In the summer my gas water heater sufficiently warms the water on the lowest possible setting...next to the "pilot light" setting!

I am an avid composter and compost dozens neighbors' leaves each year. (That is another reason for no lawn...my yard is also an organic recycling facility).

I use A/C but shut if off when leaving the house and turn back on upon return. Keep it on the warm side but don't want to drip of sweat when in the house. Learned from the electric co that my usage is well below average. Is there a number of kWh (like gallons of gas) that one should try not to exceed?

On the downside, I live in a house that is bigger than it needs to be...but that is for economic reasons...it was simply the best housing value available when I needed a new place.

Anyone have some ideas to share?

One step at a time,

Rob

P.S. Is it possible for me to delete this post if I want?

Terry J.
user 13819228
Greenville, TX
Post #: 22
Rob:
I think if everyone would do what you have done, we would see a tremendous difference in oui planet.

There should be a minimum of fuel, electiricty, natural gas, water usage in a year for everyone. And this includes a prorated share of aviation fuel. If you use more of one, say aviation fuel--balance it out with trains, bicycles, carpooling, and walking everywhere else.

Two things I might add:
Don't dry clothes inside during the time of year you are using AC. That humidity has to be removed for you to be comfortable.

If you have a larger than normal home, consider ways you might share it either by providing space for a student ot renting out part of it for a very reaaonable fee.

Small steps will get us a much cleaner, healthier planet.

I admire you,
Terry

Carolyn
ctrimmer
Mansfield, TX
Post #: 29
Thank you Rob for your discussion and attention to the smaller steps. Each decision is an influential vote (both yes and no) impacting the law of supply and demand, and I believe these are powerful votes, especially as we band together in this way of thinking and living.

Interesting to think about numerically counting usage, something like counting calories on a diet. I prefer values clarification and then living oriented as best as possible around my values without worrying about counting and tracking all the numbers. I do "get" the notion, however, that setting numbers-based parameters has merit for transitions and goal-setting.

Love, love, love the heart and spirit (enthusiasm) of all of us who value sustainable living and organic gardening!
It sometimes feels like a frontiersmen revival. And, you Rob, are among those ahead of the pack! Great job!

May all our days ahead be graced with ease among all our efforts.
Carolyn
Terry J.
user 13819228
Greenville, TX
Post #: 23
Many things could be rationed so that we had to decide where to use it--or--if to use it at all and maybe pass some of our "quota" on to someone in need. Or if we went beyond a certain point, a resource costs more and more. Euless does thsat with water, I believe, and maybe other water providers do, too. Unfortunately, that gives the wealthier among us the opportunity to use more. Maybe at a certain point of use, you go on rationing to get through the rest of the month--very strict rationing. Or some encouragement to put in rainwater harvesting, although the small incentive Texas has now (the increase in property value can't cause a rise in property taxes--state law) does not seem to be working. I believe England has a law that everyone must have a way of composting--and government officials can come into your hone and check to see that you are complying.

I wish we would all have the respect needed for the planet and its inhabitants that no person would need rationing but apparently water has come to that point.

Or we would all follow the Peraculture ethics:
Care of the Earth
Care of the People
Share the surplus
Terry