The Dallas Tennis Circle Message Board Dallas Tennis Circle General Announcements › Public Service Announcement : Tennis Balls

Public Service Announcement : Tennis Balls

Laura
user 13705155
Dallas, TX
Greetings Dallas Tennis Circle racqueteers!

As a common courtesy, I would like to offer the suggestion that everyone attending tennis meetup should please bring a new can of tennis balls.  This way, if everyone is playing with good tennis balls, it is less of a concern to keep track of them and chase after them, interrupting each other's play.

Have you ever opened a new can of tennis balls at meetup and in only a matter of minutes, they are lost for others to enjoy while you end up with random dead squishy ones? That seems rather unfair, doesn't it?  

Some of you may or may not know that tennis balls go flat relatively fast once they are out of the can. They start out pressurized but  the air leaks out, and over time and use the ball loses pressure.  Playing with dead balls will affect your game negatively because they do not bounce properly and it will affect your form when hitting.   The simplest method of determining if a tennis ball is dead is to hold the ball up as high as your forehead and let it drop. If the ball bounce doesn't reach your belly button the ball is probably dead.

So just a suggestion that we make a concerted effort to discard dead balls (not toss them into the neighboring field) and that everyone will bring a new can of tennis balls when they show up at meetup (tennis balls are relatively cheap, you can buy them almost anywhere!).  Please socialize this idea to our newer meetup members or guests, as we want to perpetuate proper tennis etiquette.

Thanks for reading and hope to see you all out on the court soon!

Cheers!

Laura
Shar P.
user 3040718
Plano, TX
Post #: 30
Have you ever opened a new can of tennis balls at meetup and in only a matter of minutes, they are lost for others to enjoy while you end up with random dead squishy ones? That seems rather unfair, doesn't it?  

Some of you may or may not know that tennis balls go flat relatively fast once they are out of the can. They start out pressurized but  the air leaks out, and over time and use the ball loses pressure.  Playing with dead balls will affect your game negatively because they do not bounce properly and it will affect your form when hitting.   The simplest method of determining if a tennis ball is dead is to hold the ball up as high as your forehead and let it drop. If the ball bounce doesn't reach your belly button the ball is probably dead.

YESSS....I open new can of balls all the time and possessively guarding all my 3 brand new balls after and during each point. LOL! It's ok to hit with dead balls when you're a complete beginner cause the older ball will be slower to help you. But for us intermediate/advanced players, it is very important to hit with new/gently used balls. We hit the balls by touch and feel, and Laura is right...if the ball doesn't bounce properly, it will affect your swing/form when hitting.
Please bring a new can of balls.....another suggestion is...maybe donate $0.50 cents or so to the person who opens a new can of balls? I don't know. Just my suggestion.
Wil M.
user 9311959
Richardson, TX
Post #: 14
Makes sense to me. How about pressureless tennis balls? The never loose their bounce! Ok, I do admit that they are a little heavier than the "normal" tennis balls, but they are getting better. Some, depending on the brand, are almost the same weight as the standard ones. I have played with them before, and it never really bothered me, or affected my game.