Dallas Wildlife Hiking Group Message Board › Big Bend Adventure!

Big Bend Adventure!

Pooua
Imagebuffet
Plano, TX
Post #: 71
Hike in one of the most exotic locations in Texas!

• Swim in natural spring-fed pools.
  • Soak in a natural hot spring.
  • Visit a ghost town.
  • Hike in one west Texas' most fascinating nature areas

Swim in natural spring-fed pools. Soak in a natural hot spring. Visit a ghost town or two. See the crisp, pure night sky far from city lights. Yes, I'm talking about a trip to Big Bend National Park! I am planning a multi-day trip, set for September. I am open to suggestions for other dates, but for now I am targeting this Fall date for it's optimum weather conditions. Big Bend is in a much warmer, drier portion of our state so while it is rainy here the weather will be perfect there! If you just can't do September but are dying to go, please give me your feedback here with date suggestions so I can begin making arrangements for tours and lodging/camping.

I attend many of the Sunday hikes so you can always catch me there for some in person feedback. To email me just click my profile name and the envelope button.

~Richard, Hike Leader
D.D.
Gainesville, TX
Post #: 1
Since west Texas can get blazingly hot in the summer I think it is smart that you are doing this hike in the Spring. The weather will be perfect for sitting in the hot springs. :)

Here is the link for the event on the calendar: Big Bend
A former member
Post #: 8
Is this an overnight event ????can I have more details
Pooua
Imagebuffet
Plano, TX
Post #: 73
Renee, my tentative plan is to spend a few days in West Texas, provided that I can get at least 5 people to sign up for this event. My goal is to have about a dozen people who will spend at least one night. I intend to spend a few days and nights in Big Bend, itself, and visit some of the other towns in West Texas. We would visit Big Bend over the weekend, so that people could just do that.

Because Big Bend is so far away, and a half-day of driving is quite a lot for most people, I intend to camp overnight when going there and when coming back. Of course, people could fly down part of the way, then carpool or rent a vehicle, depending on how many vehicles actually show up. Because of the complexity of the trip, I must have the 5 confirmations within a week of the actual event; otherwise, we will have to reschedule.

So, the short answer is, yes, we would be spending at least one night camping in Big Bend National Park.
Debbie
followthattrail
Gainesville, TX
Post #: 850
Is this an overnight event ????can I have more details

Renee - Big Bend is near El Paso, so yes, you have to spend the night. :) You can't do that kind of a drive in 1 day. This is a campout... right Richard?

Richard needs to edit his first post to reflect that the hike was rescheduled for September to allow for enough response.
Pooua
Imagebuffet
Plano, TX
Post #: 74
That's right, Deb; this trip is a camping trip. However, if people don't want to tent camp, they may reserve room at one of the local hotels. Chisos Mountains Lodge is located within BBNP and other lodging is located nearby the Park. Keep in mind that crossing Big Bend National Park takes more than an hour at the posted speed limit. I am planning to visit some of the highlights of the Park on this trip, but if the group would like to spend a few days in just one area, we could do that, too.
Viv
VivianaA
Seagoville, TX
Post #: 4
I have wanted to visit Beg Bend for a long time, and would like to do the trip lasting about a week if possible.
Care to call me to talk about this? Thanks. Viviana (214-473-5022)
A former member
I have wanted to visit Beg Bend for a long time, and would like to do the trip lasting about a week if possible.
Care to call me to talk about this? Thanks. Viviana (214-473-5022)

I've been to Big Bend several times in the past and its worth a week trip. I believe my girlfriend and I would be interested.
Mike
user 10194470
Garland, TX
I would be very interested in this trip. The only thing it would come down for me would be the dates.

Mike
A former member
Post #: 3
If you're going to Big Bend, count me in! I've never been to that part of Texas before and would love to find a fun group to go with. Does anyone know if there is snorkeling or diving in the area?
Merrie