December 11, 2012 · 6:00 PM
Please join us for Data Potluck #6, where we have a table decked full of great talks, great company of analysts, developers, and non-profit data partners, as well as another belly full of home cooking.
Rough and flexible agenda:
1. Food! Either:
- Bring a dish or food item to share, or
- Bring a few dollars to contribute if you're strapped for time.
Nick, Young-Jin, Matt will make sure there are extra veggie-friendly plates and drinks.
- Who's here, why, and how do you want to get involved?
3. Talking tools, data sources and data:
- Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) We're very excited to have Greg Sanders and Xiaohong Zhang from the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning talk about the Chicago Metro area data, their APIs and provide a historical context with his work on IDEA and the open data efforts in the City of Chicago and surrounding Chicago Metropolitan region.
- Surprise Speaker: As part of this official holiday party, we'll have a surprise guest speaker, stay tuned!
- Open Floor: We'll be saving most of the evening for making connections, talking about developing data, and crafting projects.
Looking forward to seeing you there!
Note: Please RSVP 24 hours ahead of the meetup so that we prepare food and set up the room accordingly.
Greg Sanders is the Information Architect for the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP). He serves as technical lead for online data systems including Metropulse (http://metropulsechicago.org and http://metropulsechicago.org/jobs). Greg co-founded the IDEA data sharing coalition (Illinois Data Exchange Affiliates) in 2006 and the Full Circle community mapping and planning project in 2004. Greg was previously I.T. Director for the Cleveland Housing Network and Senior Programmer-Analyst for Penske Logistics. He has managed federal Technology Opportunities Program (TOP) grants in both Cleveland and Chicago. Greg holds a BA in political science from Oberlin College and a Masters degree in mass communications from Kent State. He lives in Oak Park with his wife and two children.
Xiaohong Zhang is Senior Analyst and Data Librarian for the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP). She maintains CMAP data library, handles data requests and manages the ArcSDE and ArcGIS for Server. She is actively involved in various CMAP online data systems projects. Prior to CMAP, she was the Director of GeoData Division for East View Cartographic, Inc. and an Associate Transportation Engineer for a semi-governmental transportation agency. She holds a Bachelor of Engineering degree from Harbin Institute of Technology, a Master of Library and Information Science Degree from McGill University and a Graduate Certificate in GIS from Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota.
Mystery Guest Speaker to be announced at meetup...