The Denver Anime Meetup Group Message Board › Funimation rescues Geneon titles (was: Deathwatch for Geneon?)

Funimation rescues Geneon titles (was: Deathwatch for Geneon?)

A former member
Post #: 437
I don't know how many of you follow different anime news outlets, but recently it had been announced that Geneon was laying off their marketing department and farming it out to ADV. According to ANN that agreement's been dropped now, and reading through their forum thread on the subject it looks like Dentsu wants to get rid of production entirely by the end of the year.

If true, and only time will tell what the eventual situation will be, this is some pretty grim news as Pioneer/Geneon's been a pretty big player over the past decade-plus, giving us lots of popular titles. Contracting out your marketing department is one thing, because that means you're still putting out anime- but no production would be the end of the company and the mothballing of all their titles that are currently being released or that were scheduled to be released.

Cross your fingers, click your ruby shoes together... whatever you usually do to encourage someone to pull through a rough situation, do it. More than one anime company has folded in the last year or so, and we can't afford to lose one of the better ones, as less money going overseas probably means less anime being made.
Eric
hikikomori
Denver, CO
Post #: 68
Pioneer might just be pulling out of the distribution market. I wouldn't doubt if Bandai took over everything Pioneer was doing. Since Music Land Group went out of business, the US anime market has been suffering badly. Best Buy does not have any kind of decent selection and never will. This forces everyone to go online for their anime. However I will note that RightStuf has got to be pulling in a massive amount of cash.
A former member
Post #: 46
Well, with the ADV-Geneon deal falling apart-methinks if there is a particular Geneon title or series you want-now might be the time to get it or forever hold your peace.
A former member
Post #: 438
Pioneer might just be pulling out of the distribution market. I wouldn't doubt if Bandai took over everything Pioneer was doing.

Dunno (several posts over on ANN mention Dentsu's desire to get out of production as well), but then that raises the question of whether "Company X" is simply going to try to get the licenses to finish Geneon's unfinished materials as a favor to the fans, pick some titles that they originally wanted, or shoulder Geneon's entire anime catalog, which is considerable. It probably wouldn't be all that profitable to do so, since most of them are past their prime income-generating phase- and Bandai themselves let the rights to Love Hina (no small title and not that old) lapse when the time came.

There was a scary post over on ANN that speculated on the destruction of DVDs if the distribution rights were dropped- fire sale prices happen before that point, not after, so if there's no warning then shelves might get unceremoniously stripped.

This situation kind of puts a different perspective on all those 10/$50 and 25/$100 sales that TRSI had on Geneon stuff earlier this year and late last year. If they have one more, I'd probably get all the stuff that I've been on the fence about because of price- can't beat $4 per disk.
Eric
hikikomori
Denver, CO
Post #: 69
Well with the new announcement we can rest a bit. Geneon wants to cut productiong and discontinue distribution, so they will halt all orders not post marked by a simple date. This means that Between now and november you better hope they have it in stock, because they won't be making them anymore. :) Not sure if there is going to be a big sell-off or not. I'd expect since they are not going to shred disks, some distributors will overstock on Geneon stuff and hope it lasts till many of the titles are taken over by other US distributors.

One thing I did notice was that when Anim-eigo lost their license for Macross (SDFM) right stuff and other sellers bought almost their entire inventory since they were legaly not allowed to produce them anymore. RightStuf "still" has the animeigo SDFM box sets in stock lol. We will see what happens, for right now I'm going to buy a couple titles that I can't risk not getting relicensed (Rozen Maiden, Hellsing OVA 3). If Geneon doesn't delivery Hellsing OVA 3 I'll be very angry :)

What really stinks is that they were going to release the next season of Rozen Maiden, but now I'm sure that's all been scrapped. As for other series on my list, I have pretty much everything I'd want from Geneon, however there are a couple series I'll be watching for maximum bargain namely DearS box set, Miracle Girls box set, and Moe-chan dvds.

Probably two of the titles Geneon has that will probably be re-licensed quickly are Trigun, and Akira.

A rare series Geneon has, that might never get relicensed is Gate Keepers (Gonzo's 1st tv series). We will see how it goes!
A former member
Post #: 47
All that I can say is that I've gotten most of what I wanted from the last Geneon blowout (including Fushigi Yugi) and very few others-I've had a lot harder time getting out of print ADV titles like Martian Successor Nadisco-Prince of Darkness or the originial Catgirl Nuku Nuku ova disc.
A former member
Post #: 439
That would be this announcement:
http://www.animenewsn...­

I'm not following any of their current titles but had kinda wanted to get around to (DVD quality) Karin, and now think I shoulda gotten Gate Keepers and Ikkitousen during their sale.
Al S.
Zarabadoo
North Reading, MA
Post #: 326
I need to snag as much Ergo Proxy as I can. I still haven't gotten to getting anything beyond the first disc yet.
A former member
Post #: 48
I picked up Tenchi Universe at BB today-about the only Geneon series that I'd like to add to my collection would be the last 4 discs of Ultramaniacs. It's kinda like last year when Animeigo phased out Kimagure Orange Road-I'm still kicking myself in the butt for not getting the tv series.
Eric
hikikomori
Denver, CO
Post #: 70
I picked up Tenchi Universe at BB today-about the only Geneon series that I'd like to add to my collection would be the last 4 discs of Ultramaniacs. It's kinda like last year when Animeigo phased out Kimagure Orange Road-I'm still kicking myself in the butt for not getting the tv series.

Ya, I saw that coming lol, actually it was a big announcement, so I grabbed them before I lost my chance.