The Denver Anime Meetup Group Message Board › Distributor-specific sales at Right Stuf

Distributor-specific sales at Right Stuf

A former member
Post #: 544
Been way lax with this...

From now through August 31, take 40% OFF the retail prices of all DVDs and 33% OFF the retail prices of all merchandise from FUNimation. (This includes pre-orders!)
Eric
hikikomori
Denver, CO
Post #: 124
I banked on the funimation sale lol.
A former member
Post #: 550
I know people probably just emptied their wallets at the con, but it's now specials on ADV DVDs- same 33/40% as per normal.
A former member
Post #: 552
Geneon again for only another 3 days. This includes box set preorders for the stuff that was dropped before it ever showed up over here, like Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and Familiar of Zero, and the rest of the DVDs for some series that were dropped midway, like Karin and When They Cry.
A former member
Post #: 603
Bradster spends 1 Black and 2 colorless mana for Necro...

TRSI is currently having another of their 10 for $50, 25 for $100 sales on select merchandise. Looks to be lots of old (and still unsold) Geneon stuff, and singles from ADV and FUNI that have newer boxes being released.

I told myself I wasn't going to spend money on anime this month (because of a potential large end-of-month expenditure), but couldn't resist this one.

Post here if you're wanting to do this but can't quite make your 10/25 count- maybe someone else can help you fill it.
Eric
hikikomori
Denver, CO
Post #: 142
There are too many missing volumes in those listings. Makes me wonder how long it will be till they just release straight to season set like american TV series.
A former member
Post #: 606
There are too many missing volumes in those listings. Makes me wonder how long it will be till they just release straight to season set like american TV series.

Yeah, lots of them look like all that's left of the singles after the boxes have become the standard for a series.

I know that FUNI released STRAIN all at once in a single thinpak box, and I think Nozomi/Right Stuf has released a few of their newer series like that, but from reading forum talk about the subject it seems that there's just too much upfront expense associated with doing an entire season at once- usually the revenue from disk 1 is needed to continue work on later disks. I think the number of licenses would drop even further if they had to wait X months for a series to break even (or better) and give them the capital to work on something else..

An interesting experiment would be to license anime similar to the way some resin garage kits are managed: production doesn't start until a specific number of committed preorders has come in. They could put a section on their website showing which series they're looking at licensing, and have people sign up (privately) for series they'd be willing to buy. The ones which reach the minimum threshhold get serious license bids. Persuade the Japanese companies to settle for royalties (I think this is the FUNI/Gonzo setup) because their license fees are too high for today's economy, and we could be set...