The Denver Anime Meetup Group Message Board › Denver Sakura Matsuri

Denver Sakura Matsuri

Sabrina
user 4893467
Louisville, CO
Post #: 18
For those of you who don't alreeady know, every summer Denver has its own Cherry Blossom Festival downtown at Sakura Square, between Lawrence and Larimer and 19th and 20th St, and this year's is coming up! It's June 28-29th, all day and well into the night, and you get free entertainment, free seminars on Japanese cultre (I always love the ikebana demonstrations myself!), free food samples, and there are lots of souvenir boths including one from Gimme Anime AND Pacific Mercantile Company has lots of its foodstuffs on sale! (Plus, y'know, an excuse to get dolled up in traditional Japanese wear or current fashions and wander around eating shaved iced and mourning the fact that Denver's sakura trees never get to bloom because of the April weather...)

You can find all the info about specific hours and this year's schedule here: http://www.tsdbt.org/...­
A former member
Post #: 515
I can never remember what month this happens, thanks for the reminder. Might try to go down this year- a couple of us met up there (back in 2006?) and wandered around for a few hours.

EDIT: added to calendar as a Notice. Arrangements can be made in this thread for group formation.
David C.
dwc7162
Denver, CO
Post #: 56
We should get together and go as a group. That would be fun.
Errin
DangerMonki
Denver, CO
Post #: 105
I agree. It sounds like fun!
John
jcfiala
Group Organizer
Denver, CO
Post #: 417
I'm up for it - I've gone just about every year since I've learned about it. There's usually some really neat stuff for sale.
Eric
hikikomori
Denver, CO
Post #: 117
oh my poor weekends. though I'm at sakura square once a month restocking on curry. I got to celebrate real hanami this past spring in Fukuoka, so I don't feel left out :) Though I will admit the local Sakura festival is important, and I've never made it. Hopefuly some day :)
Sabrina
user 4893467
Louisville, CO
Post #: 19
Alas, I'm already going with my mother (it's a tradition now, we go and she stocks up on food and then we go swimming!) and a few other friends for the evening stuff. But I'll be sure to say hi to you guys when I see you! (It should be easy to spot me...I'll either be the lunatic running around in a black kimono instead of something nice and light like everyone else, or the one running around in psuedo-Lolita with lots of lace and big huge pigtail ribbons)
Al S.
Zarabadoo
North Reading, MA
Post #: 340
Or maybe we can jsut run up and scare off your mother and then you will be free to hang out with us.

If I do go though, I am limited to Sundays for the time being due to work stuffs. If it is a saturday, it would be more towards the evening.
Sabrina
user 4893467
Louisville, CO
Post #: 20
^_^. Clearly you haven't met my mother! (Seriously, compared to her? I'm low-key and calm and normal!)
Eric
hikikomori
Denver, CO
Post #: 118
Alas, I'm already going with my mother (it's a tradition now, we go and she stocks up on food and then we go swimming!) and a few other friends for the evening stuff. But I'll be sure to say hi to you guys when I see you! (It should be easy to spot me...I'll either be the lunatic running around in a black kimono instead of something nice and light like everyone else, or the one running around in psuedo-Lolita with lots of lace and big huge pigtail ribbons)

Were you at the nightwish concert? I could have swarn I saw you there.