The Denver Anime Meetup Group Message Board › Meetup details changed: The Denver Anime July Meetup

Meetup details changed: The Denver Anime July Meetup

Al S.
Our normal venue, the Village Inn, for the monthly dinner has closed. We are having to move it to our former meeting place, The Perkins. During the meeting we can discuss other options if you wish, but because of the short notice we have had to make the change without too much consultation.

Thank you all for the heads up on this. It is very much appreciated.

For more details, see the full listing:

When: July 11, 2008 7:00 PM

Where: Perkins Restaurant and Bakery
1995 S. Colorado Blvd.
Denver, CO 80222

RSVP limit: 40 "Yes" and "Maybe" RSVPs

If the changes affect your plans to attend, please take a moment to update your RSVP. (You can RSVP "No" or "Maybe" as well as "Yes".)

You can always get in touch with me through the "Contact Organizer" link on Meetup: http://anime.meetup.c...­
A former member
Post #: 533
I commented a bit in the comment section, but how about we scope the other Village Inn out? I think we were straining the capacity of the larger back room at Perkins back when we didn't have as many people. Plus, it's a PiTA to get them to answer the phone for reservations.
user 4893467
Louisville, CO
Post #: 29
(Partially copied from my comment on the event) I've been to the other VI and while once in a while it might work and the design is really cool now, there really isn't a good place there for a large group of people to get together in there. We could try, but the space is a bit smaller than the back rooms at the Perkins so there might be the same problems there with larger groups.

Brad, when did you guys stop meeting at the Perkins? I'm wondering if it changed management or something between then or something because I've used their back room for up-to-30 people NaNoWriMo meets the past couple of Novembers and I've never had trouble making a reservation with them...although to be fair, since I live next door half the time I'm there in person paying for dinner when I make the reservations anyway. It just seems strange that you've had that problem with them, so I'm wondering if things changed between then and now. *Shrug* (Or I have unknown hypnotic "answer the phone" powers that I was unaware of. At any rate, if we can't find another place nearby and have to stick with the Perkins for whatever reason, I could always make the reservations if it helps at all. But that's only if we stick with the Perkins, of course, since there are tons of options nearby there!)
A former member
Post #: 534
it's probably been over a year, since we tried some asian places last summer- I'd check our previous events calendar but I'm on a pay terminal at the airport. I could get them to answer the phone, but then put on hold for 15 minutes while they got someone who could actually put the reservation into the caledar.

Oops, times running out. have fun tomorrow.
Group Organizer
Denver, CO
Post #: 426
Happily, when I called up and asked to make a reservation, I was quickly and politely handled by the person who answered the phone, who recorded the reservation, told me we'd be welcome, and even gave me the name of the manager who will be in charge that night - so that's good.

Depending on how Perkins works out, someone emailed me and suggested the Gunther Toody's over by Colorado & Alameda, saying that it also handles large groups well. Any opinions on that place? We're definate for Perkins this time, but it doesn't hurt to keep track of alternates.
A former member
Post #: 535
Glad you had better luck than I used to. Maybe management has changed.

Gunther Toody's wouldn't be bad if you don't mind the 50s motif, but I can't remember dining in one that wasn't almost completely stool- or booth-based (it could just be my memory). Food's better than the Village Inn/Perkins fare, but might be a bit pricier. It's a bit further for me, but that'd be karmic retribution since the other locations have been relatively close.
Group Organizer
Denver, CO
Post #: 430
Glad you had better luck than I used to. Maybe management has changed.

One cool thing was that our waiter was a fan of Anime himself, and almost was given one of the tapes except apparently he already had it. :)

I think I might swing by the Gunther Toody and check it out. For right now I think we'll keep trying the Perkins, but it wouldn't hurt to have an idea in reserve. The *other* Villiage Inn is a possibility, but driving by it looked a little cramped in there.
A former member
Post #: 111
A couple of us told the waiter dude (Justin I think was his name) about the site. Maybe we'll get a new member.
A former member
Post #: 1
Yeah, it might help in the reservation department to have an inside man. ;)