The Denver Anime Meetup Group Message Board › (Some) Best Buy stores reducing anime offerings

(Some) Best Buy stores reducing anime offerings

A former member
Post #: 574
From the AnimeNation news blog entry:

ICv2 reports a confirmation that the Best Buy retail chain plans a drastic reduction of in-store anime retail sales. Over 460 nationwide Best Buy stores with historically low anime sales will run 50% off close-out sales from March 1 to 21. Following the inventory reduction, those stores will maintain a selection of only around 20 different anime DVDs.

Over 500 Best Buy stores will continue to carry over 100 anime DVD products, and roughly the 200 nationwide stores with the strongest anime sales will continue to carry a selection similar to what they offer now.

Unfortunately they don't give a list of the stores in question, so no telling if any of our local stores are involved. Doesn't really affect me that much since I buy almost everything online during "40% off Distributor X" TRSI sales or used from Amazon/Half.com, but I figure this might be useful for others under the right conditions.
Sabrina
user 4893467
Louisville, CO
Post #: 61
ANN has a complete list of the stores doing so. It looks like most of the Denver area ones are going, though the one on Colorado Blvd is NOT on the list of the reducing stores and there maybe be one or two others. But Westminster, Park Meadows, Colorado Mills, Aurora, Littleton, Parker, and one other that I can't remember off the top of my head are all on the chopping block.
A former member
Post #: 576
Looks like they deleted the list because it was preliminary, and they haven't put a new one in its place yet. I was at the Colorado BB on Saturday (28th) and they seemed to have a decent selection overall with plenty of box sets, but I have a vague memory of Aurora's selection being bigger (Though I haven't been to that store in a while since it's no longer the closest to me).

Maybe I'll stop by PM after work today and browse, but I've probably already exceeded my leisure budget for the next several months with some recent purchases.

EDIT: Here's the final list. Looks like it's sorted by store number first. Loveland, Northglenn, (Pueblo), (Longmont), Parker, 1-70 & Tower Rd, Southglenn, (Greeley), Arapahoe & Parker Rd, GK Square Broadway.

On the Mania forum I saw people planning to hit up the dollar stores for even better bargains on these titles, but I'm not sure I want to drive around just looking to see if the few I know about even stock anime surplus.
A former member
Post #: 577
Considering how few people have read this topic, I hope they read the news on some other forum they frequent, because otherwise they're missing out on some good deals that'll make their anime dollar go further in this economy.

I visited the stores on Arapahoe Rd (one at Parker Rd, one at University) and got

• Le Chevalier D'Eon Complete for $24
  • Black Lagoon Season 1 for $18
  • Afro Samurai Resurrection for $13
  • Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix for $10
  • Kashimashi Complete for $7
  • Space Pirate Mito Complete / Aoi and Mutsuki Pair of Queens for $7

IIRC all of these are cheaper than what you can find them for used on Amazon.com, or TRSI's distributor sales, so go to one of these listed stores while they still have something in stock.

Now I'm tempted to finish off by going to either the store in Parker itself, or Aurora, just to make sure I don't miss something I'd consider a first choice. Probably half of these will end up in the raffle after I'm done with them, but that could be a while, and there are plenty more boxes and singles of things that I already had or wasn't interested in that somebody else might like.
Eric
hikikomori
Denver, CO
Post #: 130
I'm sure rightstuf is very happy about this news.