The Denver Anime Meetup Group Message Board › RIP Yoshito Usui

RIP Yoshito Usui

Sabrina
user 4893467
Louisville, CO
Post #: 75
For those who haven't heard (and given that it's I think not even 10am where you guys are and the news just got posted, I'm guessing quite a few haven't), the body found near where Crayon Shin-Chan author Yoshito Usui went missing while hiking a few days ago has been confirmed by dental records and the family as being his. What a loss to anime and manga pop culture...
A former member
Post #: 614
Sad news. I knew he was missing because it was on another blog, but that doesn't get updated on weekends.

(and it's only 9 am right now. I don't see any place to change our individual time zone, so it looks like you posted this just over 1 hour ago your time)
Sabrina
user 4893467
Louisville, CO
Post #: 76
Ugh, I blame the fact that it's hard to go backwards seven hours. It was just shy of 3pm in Glasgow at the time, so...yeah, whoops, I was totally off then.

Yeah, it's very sad news. It seems like Shin-chan has been around in manga form in the US for centuries now. It's like a staple of manga sections. And what a way to go, too. Here's hoping his family gets through this okay...
A former member
Post #: 1
Ah man. What happened?
Sabrina
user 4893467
Louisville, CO
Post #: 79
No one's really sure since he was alone, but from what it looks like, he went hiking along the mountain cliffs as per the norm, and then investigators think he was taking a picture from one of the cliffs and fell. The last shot on his camera was of the view from the cliff and the way the body was found makes suicide unlikely, so that's what they're assuming happened. Just a stupid, tragic accident.