Al S.
Zarabadoo
North Reading, MA
Post #: 6
Anyone going to NDK this year and wanted to have a short meetup?
A former member
Post #: 2
I'm still deciding if I'm going. I've never really been interested in Cons, but it'd be a shame to miss one being held in a city I live in- when so many people drive for hours to get to one.
Al S.
Zarabadoo
North Reading, MA
Post #: 10
if you wanted to go for at least one day, i would recommend saturday. If anything, we can probably arrange a time to meet out in the hotel lobby and you could decide from there if you wanted to pay to go in. (you could set up a meetup event for it. gotta love the new features.) seeing some of the fans running around may be enough to have some interest.

also, if it is anything like it was last year, you can probably wander around the halls with out paying. you just won't be able to go into any of the event rooms.

I fully encourage you to go, though. it is really the only convention i ever attend every year.

-- Al "Zarabadoo" Steffen
http://www.zarabadoo....­
A former member
Post #: 4
I had given thought to coming at least on Saturday, even though I'll have no idea what the program is until/unless I go there. I can understand why they don't finalize a schedule until the last minute, but it doesn't help those of us who might not be able to take time off a weekday for the Friday session.

Back onto the original question- I'll probably cancel this Meetup since I'm the only "Yes" vote, so I don't have a problem with a mini-Meetup the Wed or Thur before NDK.
Al S.
Zarabadoo
North Reading, MA
Post #: 12
sounds good to me. those days are pretty much wide open for me. FYI, ghost in the shell 2 opens the 17th, friday of NDK.

also, where would we meet in the dave and busters? i don't recall many places to sit and talk in there plus it is one of the loudest places i can imagine. i guess the restraunt are isn't too bad, but i am not sure if they make you order anything. (I usually just get some kind of beverage and not food.)
A former member
Post #: 5
Well, it doesn't have to be D&B. That was the only suggestion at the time that Meetup transferred things over to the Organizers, so it won by default.

However, since I was just there on Tuesday for another Meetup, I know that the noisy game room is separated from the bar/restaurant by a long corridor, and you don't really hear anything unless you're right next to it.

I'll cancel this Meetup around 4pm today if I'm still the only one signed up. Since I'm basically free in the evenings after work, you're more than welcome to choose your optimum day/time for the NDK meetup.

GiTS 2 opens in theaters, or released in stores? I have to admit I wasn't aware it existed- I only knew about the original movie and Stand Alone Complex.
Al S.
Zarabadoo
North Reading, MA
Post #: 13
... I know that the noisy game room is separated from the bar/restaurant by a long corridor, and you don't really hear anything unless you're right next to it.

that sounds good then. i wasn't sure how the meetups were handled there.

I'll cancel this Meetup around 4pm today if I'm still the only one signed up. Since I'm basically free in the evenings after work, you're more than welcome to choose your optimum day/time for the NDK meetup.

did you want to do a meetup at NDK or earlier in the week? if at ndk, then anytime during it is fine as i have a full weekend pass or if you wanted to do it before, Wednesday would probably be a really good day as that is the slowest day of the week for me.

GiTS 2 opens in theaters, or released in stores? I have to admit I wasn't aware it existed- I only knew about the original movie and Stand Alone Complex.

It is actually opening up in theaters that day. (official web page with trailer.) If you wanted, we can probably schedule some sort of informal meetup around that to kick off the new group organization and drag people in. i know i plan to go see it that Friday irregardless. i am quite sure it will be playing at the Mayan, but also possibly at some larger venues. (maybe even the D&B United Artists.) we would have to wait to see about that though. i may make some calls if you wanted.

-- Al "Zarabadoo" Steffen
http://www.zarabadoo....­
A former member
Post #: 6
that sounds good then. i wasn't sure how the meetups were handled there.

Yeah, it turns out you just get a table like every other patron, and it was pretty dead that night. But since it's a restaurant, we'd still be checked up on periodically by the wait staff. I doubt we can just get a table and talk for the duration, so I'm still open to other venue suggestions.

It is actually opening up in theaters that day. (official web page with trailer.) If you wanted, we can probably schedule some sort of informal meetup around that to kick off the new group organization and drag people in. i know i plan to go see it that Friday irregardless. i am quite sure it will be playing at the Mayan, but also possibly at some larger venues. (maybe even the D&B United Artists.) we would have to wait to see about that though. i may make some calls if you wanted.

OK, I looked at the webpage. The theater showtimes for Fri won't come out until 9/13. If you're not doing evening NDK, I think it'd be great to have a group go to the GiTS show on Friday.

I'm more than likely going to give NDK a shot on Saturday, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get a group together there and keep it together for any length of time, what with different interests and all.
Al S.
Zarabadoo
North Reading, MA
Post #: 20
it probably wouldn't be too hard. apparently they moved where registration is this year, so the entire hotel lobby is open to groups and gatherings. there are chairs and things out there to sit on also.

as far as venues go, we could have it over at a book shop or something. i know B&Ns (Barnes & Noble's) usually have small coffee shops in them and are unusually quiet. plus if the discussion slipped into manga, there would be a few reference materials on the shelves. not many, but a few. There is also the anime store on havana, but that is on the west edge of aurora and it may be a bit for for a lot of people to go. i am sure they would accommodate us though.
A former member
Post #: 9
it probably wouldn't be too hard. apparently they moved where registration is this year, so the entire hotel lobby is open to groups and gatherings. there are chairs and things out there to sit on also.

as far as venues go, we could have it over at a book shop or something. i know B&Ns (Barnes & Noble's) usually have small coffee shops in them and are unusually quiet. plus if the discussion slipped into manga, there would be a few reference materials on the shelves. not many, but a few. There is also the anime store on havana, but that is on the west edge of aurora and it may be a bit for for a lot of people to go. i am sure they would accommodate us though.

I think B&N is pretty close to D&B.. at least I know they're both on Colorado.

Gimme Anime does let groups use their common room, and I'd have no problem meeting there- I live about a mile from it. However, I am mindful of the fact that most people don't live that close and would like a more central location.