The Denver Anime Meetup Group Message Board › Watching anime

Watching anime

A former member
Post #: 23
I understand meet-ups purpose is to meet people of like interest and socialize, but has anyone given any thought to an anime viewing night? I get tired of watching anime by myself and miss the feeling of all night anime watching with a group.
Thanks,

Dave
Al S.
Zarabadoo
North Reading, MA
Post #: 29
sounds like a good idea to me. we sort-a-kinda did one of these last friday with GitS2. that of course, took place in a movie theater though. the trick would be getting either a venue or someone comfortable enought to let people into thier home.

this group is jsut now really starting to gain some attention it seems, so it could be a future possibility once people get to know one another a bit better.

-- Al "Zarabadoo" Steffen
http://www.zarabadoo....­
A former member
Post #: 13
I'm not against it, and in my bio brief here on the board, I do mention that I can probably also play host once in a while if people can make it. It's not a large apartment, but I can likely host about 5 in viewing comfort. I'm also new in town, so I'm not familiar with any place (campus? library?) that you can cheaply sign up for multimedia events.

I thought that people would probably be in the DAI or other nearby clubs if they were into group watchings, and that once-per-month gathering might be all they were interested in. To be honest, since this group hadn't been all that active from when I first signed up, I figured I'd be doing good if the normal Meetup had enough people to avoid being cancelled.
A former member
Post #: 1
I think this would be a lot of fun.

I have quite a few series I could 'volunteer' for movie night. Though I don't know how LONG the movie night is going to last. Heh. Like, I don't think we'd want to watch all 24,000 DVDs of Rurouni Kenshin. Well -- at least in one sitting!

biggrin
A former member
Post #: 2
I thought that people would probably be in the DAI or other nearby clubs if they were into group watchings, and that once-per-month gathering might be all they were interested in. To be honest, since this group hadn't been all that active from when I first signed up, I figured I'd be doing good if the normal Meetup had enough people to avoid being cancelled.

DAI has meetings at times I always have conflicts with. I've been trying to go to a meeting with them for about 4 months now. I've missed it every single time.
A former member
Post #: 16
I think this would be a lot of fun.

I have quite a few series I could 'volunteer' for movie night. Though I don't know how LONG the movie night is going to last. Heh. Like, I don't think we'd want to watch all 24,000 DVDs of Rurouni Kenshin. Well -- at least in one sitting!

biggrin

My thoughts are that attendees could bring 1-2 DVDs that they were interested in sharing and then, depending on session length, we would watch 1-2 episodes from at least 1 disk out of everyone's portable stash, so nobody is 'left out'.

My personal preference would be to concentrate on movies and short OAVs (like Jin-Roh, or Cat-Girl Nuku-Nuku), that way things could be wrapped up in 1-2 sessions, instead of years. (i.e., 2 ep of Ranma every month would take 6 years to finish- coincidentally, just about how long they took to release the series.)

Not that I'm a total advocate of the once-per-month thing, since my old anime club met weekly. This is a real slow-down for me. I realize that it'd probably be a little challenging to meet too much more frequently as an official Meetup event.
A former member
Post #: 24
I could talk to my apartment complex. We have a clubhouse with a big screen TV. It closes at 10pm, but if we started at 7 that's a good three hours. I think they'd be okay with 6 to 8 people. Let me look into it. If anyone else has a clubhouse, they should check, as well.

I hate to ask this question, but...
sub or dub?

Dave
Al S.
Zarabadoo
North Reading, MA
Post #: 31
My thoughts are that attendees could bring 1-2 DVDs that they were interested in sharing and then, depending on session length, we would watch 1-2 episodes from at least 1 disk out of everyone's portable stash, so nobody is 'left out'.

i agree with this method. may want to mention what you want to bring in the boards though. this way we can make sure we have stuff that is fresh to at least one person.

My personal preference would be to concentrate on movies and short OAVs (like Jin-Roh, or Cat-Girl Nuku-Nuku), that way things could be wrapped up in 1-2 sessions, instead of years. (i.e., 2 ep of Ranma every month would take 6 years to finish- coincidentally, just about how long they took to release the series.)

This is what i have for the most part anyway. It is just nice having a complete story that you can watch within the span of a weekend.

Not that I'm a total advocate of the once-per-month thing, since my old anime club met weekly. This is a real slow-down for me. I realize that it'd probably be a little challenging to meet too much more frequently as an official Meetup event.

I say see how things go, and see if anyone wants to do more than one meeting a month. Meetup may add the ability to have multiple repeating meetups or weekly meetups. When looking in the main boards, i see they are requested quite a bit and the personnel seem to agree.

I could talk to my apartment complex. We have a clubhouse with a big screen TV. It closes at 10pm, but if we started at 7 that's a good three hours. I think they'd be okay with 6 to 8 people. Let me look into it. If anyone else has a clubhouse, they should check, as well.

One thing to consider would be about language and nudity. We won't be watching hentai or anything, but we all know how anime can get. Some kid will probably walk by the room, wee we are watching “cartoons” and wander in. I am sure we don't want the stuff that has been edited for cartoon network. Hehe.

sub or dub?

I am a sub person, but i have been impressed by some of the dubs out there. Cowboy Bebop for example, had a fabulous dub. This is the great thing about DVD: you get both for the price of one.

-- Al "Zarabadoo" Steffen
http://www.zarabadoo....­
A former member
Post #: 3

sub or dub?

I choose sub most of the time -- unless I'm real tired. Though I do agree, sometimes the dub's are really good, depending on the Anime.
A former member
Post #: 28
Sweet! Sub person as well. I'm amoung friends!

I'll know something next week. What day/time? Same as the meet-up or something different like a Friday/Saturday night?

Dave