The Denver Anime Meetup Group Message Board › So, how do we rope you in to viewings?

So, how do we rope you in to viewings?

A former member
Post #: 619
At Friday's Meetup dinner, Big Chris announced that he was no longer holding his monthly anime viewing Meetups, because it was basically the same 4-5 people every time. While I won't be stopping mine any time soon, I have also long noticed that while we have a core monthly dinner group of about 25 people, it's been a long time since either of the private viewings have gotten more than a handful of (the same) people. This was true even before Big Chris moved out of his house and into a smaller apartment.

For those of you who say to yourself "I would come, but....", I'd like to know the things that keep you away. Is it the day, the time, the venue, the anime, your schedule, the distance, or any combination thereof? Some of these are less negotiable than others, but I'm always willing to create events for people who want to hold their own Meetup viewings at other times or other parts of the city, and you could probably twist Big Chris' arm as well.

I know it's far easier to download and watch it yourself, but it's hard to believe that such a high percentage of the group is content to just meet monthly for dinner and talk about anime (for maybe half the time, divided amongst gaming and other geek topics)... NDK is only once a year, and there aren't enough anime movies released in theaters to have those kind of group events regularly.
Sabrina
user 4893467
Louisville, CO
Post #: 82
Not that my opinion probably counts for much since I've been gone and won't be back again for many, many months, but the biggest reason I stopped coming to viewings was because of the selection of anime. It seemed like it only appealed to one type of viewer and any attempts made to bring in different genres or show types weren't met with any sort of reception at all. It's just not as much fun to go to something when you know everything that is going to be watched is from the same genre of Stuff You Don't Usually Like and that no one will be receptive to Other Things. I think a greater variety of anime would be helpful, for sure...just mixing in a little bit of something for everyone so that even if there are a bunch of shows that a handful of viewers might not be interested in, there's a better shot of there being at least one thing that they'll enjoy as well.

(Timing was the other issue for me, but that was a personal work schedule thing coupled with massive health issues, so that's obviously not something easily changeable there! ^_^.)
ZGundam
CPatella
Aurora, CO
Post #: 108
Brad is on to something here as well as Squeeky.

Why don't we have the viewings and change the type of anime watched each month? One month could be nothing but mecha, another Shojo, another horror, etc.

And yes, one month could be Ecchi >_<

What about that? It might make me start viewings again.
John
jcfiala
Group Organizer
Denver, CO
Post #: 502
I can't really nail down anything in particular while keeps me from viewings. There's the fact that I'm poor at remembering them, there's the fact that I'm often busy, I will admit a few times that I have gone I haven't been that excited at the anime being shown, and generally there's my tendancy to avoid crowds.

Yes, don't ask me how I ended up 'running' three meetups if I dislike crowds. Bad Magic.
A former member
Post #: 620
Why don't we have the viewings and change the type of anime watched each month? One month could be nothing but mecha, another Shojo, another horror, etc.

I think we'd have to do some things if we went this route:

• give each month at least two themes, otherwise people might not show up at all if they didn't like what was on the agenda
  • make sure that anime from the planned themes is readily available somewhere in the possession of the RSVP list.
  • Hope some non-regulars RSVP, since that's the goal of the changes.

Of course, we also need people using the forum more often...

Sabrina
user 4893467
Louisville, CO
Post #: 83
Well, you guys could always bring this up at the next dinner meet as well? That might at least get more people checking out the forum, or help you gauge if people are interested in viewings at all...
A former member
Post #: 5
For me, the biggest concern was that the event would take up most of the day. I haven't enjoyed a lot of free time for a while and there was a lot of stuff I wanted to do, so while I enjoy sitting down and watching some anime, I don't know if I can do it for five to six hours.

It might be good to stress that this is a casual gathering and people can come and go as need be.
A former member
Post #: 623
I hope that my event description doesn't come off sounding like it's a "lock-in", because I can probably count the number of events that actually went longer than 5 or 6pm on one hand. I mainly keep the name and description to distinguish it from Big Chris', and count it a bonus if something grabs our interest to the point where we'll watch a 13-episode season.
A former member
Post #: 1
I just finished reading the replies. Let me first state I'm new to this group. Now that that's been established please forgive me if I address something that's already been beaten to death. It seems the common issue noted as to why people don't show tends to be the show schedule.

I haven't been involved in any anime groups in quite a while. To be brutally honest the last anime group I was an active member of was held at SDSU back in the 1980's when I was a kid (I know I just aged myself horribly there! ahahaha). Anyhow there seemed to be at least 2 main draws to that group for me.

1) Variety! They would have 1 scheduled meeting per month (usually Saturdays) held in a big screening room on the SDSU campus. To prepare for this they would pole the group to see what everyone wanted to watch and then pick from that. They would then add a few new/unheard of and usually un-subbed/dubbed (remember it was the 1980's!) shows.

Once they had a good idea of what everyone wanted to see, they'd ask for donations (in the forms of shows/vhs tapes/laser discs they didn't have. Cuz remember back then you couldn't just download everything online (we hadn't even invented fire yet!) and believe it or not it helped to keep the group tight and happy. Now a days we can ask for dvd's or someone can probably just lug their pc/mac/xbox along and share their anime that way! Of course with ipods, smart phones and psp's running rampant everywhere quality control would probably need to be a consideration.)

From all of this they (being the board or the people running the anime group at SDSU) would look to see if anyone picked the same recurring shows and if so they'd be sure to pick a few episodes of that show. Then they'd add in the random show's that most hadn't yet seen and develop a schedule that ran from 10 or 11am until 10 or 11pm (that's right 12 HOURS!!!!). They'd be sure to have a few 30 minute breaks scheduled in there.
They would then top the evening off by screening a movie (back then it was Lensman or Valley of the Wind (yep the U.S. dub of Nausicaa) or Castle Cagliostro, you get the idea).

Usually the show schedule would consist of 2-4 episodes of each show (depending on how many shows we screened we'd sometimes watch more or less of the episodes and if everyone in the group hated one show we'd stop watching it and move onto the next show) that was 9 hours of it with a couple of 30 minute food breaks and then the movie.

I think the main part idea here is to have a varied schedule and keep everyone in the group involved. Even if someone's favorite show get's skipped over there'll probably be plenty of time for them to tell us why everyone else needs to see it and plea their case! :)

2) Last but not least was the fact that everyone was made aware that they were welcome to come and go as they pleased so long as they didn't disturb everyone else in the group. This meant we had a lot of people showing up for a show in the morning, leaving, coming back in the afternoon, leaving and then coming back at night for the movie. I thought that was pretty cool because people could do whatever, camp out for the day and enjoy the company of fellow anime lovers or catch a show or two and come back for the movie after they'd taken care of what they needed to!

Now I know logistically this can take a fair amount of work to set up, but done right it should really draw people together. Back in the day we usually had 20-80 people show up for the screenings, double that when there was a good movie showing. Ages and attendee's ranged from families with 7 year olds to teens all the way up to people in their 50's (I'll probably be watching anime till my eyes fall out of my skull, hopefully that won't be anytime soon!).

It sounds like the screenings are held in peoples houses so I'm guessing space is a factor here as well. No one wants to show up to find out that the 5 seats in the house are full. I'm not sure if renting a venue is a possibility but if it were an offered option and you took donations to help cover the costs that might be a possibility (plus most people show up to things they pay for, even if it's just a dollar or two! Probably just as important that if costs are an issue people understand that they are donations and they don't have to pay to play, that everyone is still welcome even if they're broke!)

While it's easier to sit in front of your own tv to watch anime these days, sometimes it's fun to get together with a group of others who like the same thing as you. After all that's the whole idea behind having a group like this right?

Hope that helps and I look forward to meeting everyone!
A former member
Post #: 42
I don't go to viewings for two reasons:

I joined the meetup for the social aspect. The purpose, for me at least, is to meet people with similar but not identical interests and get to know them. I do that primarily by talking to them. The viewings don't really serve this purpose in my case, so I don't bother with them.

I'm also very restless. I am not a movie marathon person, I have trouble sitting still through even one episode of a series, much less several hours. Since I wouldn't have much fun and I'd only end up disturbing others from enjoying themselves, I abstain.

That said, I enjoyed the sort of 'house party' feel of the couple of viewings I went to early on. Potluck food, hanging out in a private residence rather than a restaurant, etcetera. But frankly, after the Great Laptop Controversy, I realized that the vibe I actually enjoyed was unwelcome. I think if you want more people than the same 4 or 5 to spend the majority of their Saturday in one place, you've got to open the door to more than 'sit on the couch and watch X episodes of Y'.