The Denver Anime Meetup Group Message Board › View-fest Dec. 4 at Bradster's

View-fest Dec. 4 at Bradster's

John
jcfiala
Group Organizer
Denver, CO
Post #: 21
I'd try to give you a quick tutorial on how to convert digisubs into a format viewable on DVD players, but I'm not sure what kind of disc-burning software you have.. (and for some reason, my standalone player only recognized one particular AMV as being playable, even though there were 5 other vids of the same format on the disc. I think it might prefer VCD format for that kind of thing)

My burner (Roxio) can be very picky - it has to do with the exact codec used in addition to the file type. (For instance, it won't let me burn the Drawn Together I downloaded to disk.) Those anime vids I played at the get together at my house were all ones I threw on the disk, but there were other ones I'd have liked to include that I couldn't.

John
A former member
Post #: 84
I use Nero 6 for burning and higly recommen it's ease, versitlity and quality. Plus it allows you the option to make really cool menus for VCD.

I have quite a bit of stuff on VCD and don't find that significant of a loss when the original is clean. The great thing is the even though it's a step down, it will always stay one step down, unless VHS which worsens every play.

I should think about what to bring. Maybe something opposite of what I brought last time, instead of funny, I'll go creepy. Anyone seen Paranoia Agent yet?devilish

Dave
A former member
Post #: 46
Actually, I can port anything to DVD- it just depends on how badly I want to.

My usual method is using TMPGEnc to convert any DiVX-style codec to MPG (video bitrate is unimportant as long as audio is 48kHz/224kbps), then using Ulead's Movie Factory 2 SE to create menus and put it in the correct Video_ts format, then burning with Nero.

It just bugs me that of 6 AMVs with identical codecs and audio formats, only 1 was recognized by my player. I was hoping I could just throw the disk in the player instead of doing a full conversion.
A former member
Post #: 4
I might come and bring a few episodes of Tsukuyomi Moon Phase with me, problem is they are divx and I'm real lazy about doing divx to mpeg2 conversions. Maybe I'll just bring my divx dvd player along too.
Al S.
Zarabadoo
North Reading, MA
Post #: 56
does it play the XviD codec too? that is what these episodes are encoded in.

also, when you guys convert to (S)VCD, what do you do about the subtitles? i haven't researched that hard yet, but i haven't seen a lot on that. they are embedded into the video right now.
A former member
Post #: 48
Maybe I'll just bring my divx dvd player along too.

I thought about getting one of those, but since the only DiVX files I have are fansubs I'm content to watch them on the PC.

also, when you guys convert to (S)VCD, what do you do about the subtitles? i haven't researched that hard yet, but i haven't seen a lot on that. they are embedded into the video right now.

You want to keep them or get rid of them? If you're transferring from a VHS tape you're stuck with them, because I think that's the equivalent of a hardsub.

If you're wanting to convert a DiVX file into MPG and keep the subtitles I think you'll have to work with VobSub or some such program, because the subs are usually a 'separate' file. I've never actually worked with subtitles, so I'm not quite sure.

Search Videohelp.com for scads of useful articles in the sidebar- probably under Convert.
Al S.
Zarabadoo
North Reading, MA
Post #: 58
keeping them. (i am not that good with understanding japanese. hell,i don't even speak english properly.)

they are XviD files with the subs embedded in the file itself and the program i have to convert to vcd doesn't show them. of course, i am having all sorts of trouble it currently. it is having trouble reading XviD for some reason. i never really had trouble with it befor my reformat.
A former member
Post #: 86
ACK! Too much tencho-geekness! brain turning to pudding. Ack! It's bananna! I hate bananna pudding!

*thump*
Al S.
Zarabadoo
North Reading, MA
Post #: 59
ACK! Too much tencho-geekness! brain turning to pudding. Ack! It's bananna! I hate bananna pudding!

*thump*

XviD is a video codec based on the early, open source versions of DivX (not the current, spyware corrupted version out now). i am seeing a lot of fansubs encoded in it and i know there are a few models of DVD players that can play XviD encoded files.
A former member
Post #: 8
I have a Philips DVP642 that you can get at Target (when they have them in stock) for $69.95. Yes it plays divx and xvid, and most forms of Mpeg4 if it's properly encoded. You can get a lot of information on it if you go to AfterDawn.com and go to the Philips dvp642 dvd and divx thread, there's more there than you ever might want to know.cool