Welcome, Denver Cinephiles!
Denver Cinema Club is a social group for people who enjoy independent, foreign, and classic films. We see two or three films a week, usually at the "artsy" theaters in central Denver: the Mayan, Chez Artiste, Esquire, and Sie FilmCenter. After a film we usually go to a nearby restaurant to have a drink, chat about the movie, and socialize. It's a diverse, friendly group, and everyone is welcome.
In addition to our regular outings, we also attend special events: film festivals, trivia contests, Oscar parties, free screenings, etc. Watch your Meetup calendar for these, too.
We encourage group participation: we invite members to organize events of their own (see Guest Organizers, below), and we have a Facebook page for any film-related topics you care to bring up.
Details and Suggestions
• Everyone buys his or her own ticket at the theater, and we get separate checks at the restaurant. If the film has reserved seating or we think it might sell out, we will suggest that you buy your ticket ahead of time.
• We use the RSVPs to estimate how many seats to reserve at the restaurant, so if you RSVP "yes" and your plans change, please remember to come back and change your RSVP to "no."
• Some of the films we see aren't for everyone, so it's a good idea to do a little research before RSVPing. What you learn could make the after-movie discussion more interesting, too!
• We occasionally have events for free advance screenings, but we do this mainly as a perk for active members. If you want to go to the advance screenings, please join us for other events, as well.
Guest Organizers (Suggested Meetups)
As mentioned above, we welcome guest organizers! If, after attending a few club events, you decide you would like to organize an event of your own, you can create one under the Suggested Meetups tab. Organizing is pretty straightforward:
• Fill out all the details of the event: theater, showtime, information about the film, etc. Assuming it all looks good, one of the regular organizers will announce the event for you.
• Find a place to discuss the film afterward. Typically this means reserving a table at a nearby restaurant, but it could mean just hanging out at the theater for a while.
• Arrive 15 minutes before the film, and provide a way for people to find you. Standing in the lobby with a small sign usually does the trick.
• After the film, herd the group to the discussion place, and discuss!
If you would like to promote a special screening or other film-related event around Denver, send an email to the organizers. If we agree that it's of interest to the group, we will organize an outing and/or post a notice on our message board.