The Denver RPG Group Message Board Kickstarter/Crowd Funded Games › Dwarven Forge's Game Tiles: Revolutionary Miniature Terrain

Dwarven Forge's Game Tiles: Revolutionary Miniature Terrain

Eric
yupasama
Boulder, CO
Post #: 10
(I'm not sure if this is the right place for this. If not, I'm happy to delete or move the post.)

I'm not affiliated with Dwarven Forge, but I'm excited by their Kickstarter project:

http://www.kickstarte...­

It started yesterday and ends on April 30 (35 days from now).

Basically they want to make cheaper plastic (instead of resin polystone) versions of their current miniature terrain, and they're starting off with a variant of their popular Classic Dungeon "Room" set. The discount isn't that steep, depending on how many sets you get and whether you want prepainted sets, but it can still be a good deal. The project went live yesterday morning and met its goal within a few hours. As I type this, it just hit its fourth stretch goal, which would add about half an additional set to every backer (of at least $120)'s haul. The stretch goal rewards add more pieces to every pledge above $120, and I suspect it will be a lot (as in the recent Reaper project) by the time the project deadline rolls around.

You can find out more about Dwarven Forge at their website: http://www.dwarvenfor...­

I hope they can get a lot of seed money from this project, as I'd love to be able to use cheaper plastic versions of all of their terrain instead of the pricier and more brittle resin-based versions. This is another similarity to the recent successful Reaper Kickstarter project--both are well-established companies looking to recreate their existing products, just using plastic (instead of metal for Reaper, instead of resin for Dwarven Forge).

Some downsides to this project include:

• Shipping outside the US is incredibly expensive, only a little less than the original pledge amount.
  • The new plastic terrain isn't that much cheaper than the original polystone (resin) terrain they already sell. The price for plastic ranges from about 80% to about 40% of the resin version, assuming US location for shipping, depending on how many sets you want and whether you're willing to accept unpainted sets.
  • The wall pieces take up half the floor tile space for the wall, making that tile's space essentially unusable during play.

Wendy
WAEtoWAR
Denver, CO
Post #: 176
Eric,

Thanks for posting, this is the perfect place to promote any and all gaming-related crowd funded projects. You don't have to be affiliated with the campaign to post, I had just gotten a few emails eariler this year from people who are/were affiliated with Kickstarters, so that was when I created the forum.

These do sound pretty neat. Thanks again for sharing,
Wendy