addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Denver iOS Developer User Group Message Board › 2 Contract or CTH Mobile App Dev Positons (rare perks)

2 Contract or CTH Mobile App Dev Positons (rare perks)

Tyler D.
user 56267432
Englewood, CO
Post #: 1
Hello Everyone - I wanted to reach out to this group regarding 2 Mobile Application Development positions in Aurora. One of TEKsystems clients needs two young, up and coming mobile developers to start an internal app team. These individuals will get ipads, an iphone, blackberry, android, macbook pro..ect. to play with and develop applications. The Manager said these people will get to use all the new technologies and new toys. Awesome perks. If anyone is interested in these positions and HAS an active app in the App Store or Marketplace, please give me a call at 303-843-3761 or

A former member
Post #: 2
You might want to rephrase this job advertisement, specifically your need for "two young, up and coming mobile developers".

Quoting the federal "Age Discrimination in Employment Act":

The ADEA's broad ban against age discrimination specifically prohibits statements or specifications in job notices or advertisements of age preference and limitations. An age limit may only be specified in the rare circumstance where age has been proven to be a bona fide occupational qualification (BFOQ)

As someone who has been a successful software developer for more than 4 decades in the public and private sector, deploying to platforms from mainframes to iPads, this ad certainly got my attention.

I'm doing "my own thing" so I'm certainly not interested in these positions, but what is interesting is that this ad reflects the (traditionally) unspoken reality of the corporate software industry, i.e., grey hair need not apply...
Tyler D.
user 56267432
Englewood, CO
Post #: 4
Thank you for your reply - I apologized for the way I phrased the posting but it's the truth. This company wants a young, passionate team to grow with the company. If I present anyone more than 6-7 years out of college, they will not schedule an interview.

There are tons of federal acts trying to make everyone equal but at the end of the day companies know exactly what they want and will say "their personality doesn't fit the culture" or "their experience isn't a match" when in reality the individual is too old.
A former member
Post #: 3
I really appreciate your candid response.

Two observations:

(1) The prevailing American corporate mentality in the 21st century is "The law applies when I want it to, otherwise I'm free to ignore it". As an example, see the 2008 financial crisis.

The ADEA is quite clear regarding the law. I appreciate where you're coming from, but I still recommend you edit your ad to comply with the law (and let your client deal with the ramifications).

Who's going to buy your "stuff" when everyone in America who is over 40 and isn't an "executive" is relegated to menial careers with inadequate salaries?

(2) "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill”