WEEKEND IN GLENWOOD SPRINGS:
HANGING LAKE, ZIPLINING, CAMPING (YOUR CHOICE OF TENT OR CABIN), AND MORE VIA THE SCENIC AMTRAK TRAIN!
Due to popular demand, this is being broken up into 4 groups!
Actual itinerary times and details are currently tentative, and still in the planning stages, and will be updated & finalized in May. I have updated this event at each major step just as a way to keep you updated.
You also have the option of making this just a day trip without an overnight stay to include the hike and even ziplining if you want.
We are spending the weekend taking the Scenic Amtrak train through the Rockies, to include a trip through the 6.5-mile long Moffat Tunnel to Fraser and Granby, where it connects with & follows the Colorado River through both the Gore Canyon and Glenwood Canyon. We will take the train the day before and the day after the hike, but not on the same day as the hike.
We will start our first full day with a zipline course that takes you across the Colorado River from one bank to the other.
After ziplining, we will do our hike to Hanging Lake.
Lodging: Glenwood Canyon Resort http://glenwoodcanyonresort.com/ has put together some great group rates for us (still being tweaked & finalized). I highly recommend that you make a full weekend out of this trip as you will have plenty of fun things to do! Glenwood Canyon Resort will be providing us with shuttle service to/from Amtrak as well as to/from Hanging Lake. The resort sits on the bankside of the Colorado River, and lodging options will be your choice of either a tent site or a rustic camper cabin (cabin with beds only... your alternative to a tent). This is also where we will do our ziplining course.
The resort has plenty of other on-site activities as well, including:
- Bike rental- bike into town along the bike path that parallels the Colorado River
- Colorado River Rafting
- Climbing wall
- Obstacle course
- Challenge Ropes Course: The High Adventure Ropes Course crosses from tower to tower 40 feet above the ground. The Raider Bridge, Multi-Vine Ropes and Swinging Steps will test your skills & the Leap of Faith will test your nerves!
- Shuttle to/from Glenwood Springs Hot Springs Pool (world's largest hot springs pool!)
- Enough activities to make you want to stay an extra day or two beyond our hiking day!
You will also have the option of making this a day trip only rather than overnight by carpooling from Woolly Mammoth. If you do this, you will still have the option to zipline before the hike.
The MAIN EVENT:
Hike to the beautiful, ecologically protected Hanging Lake
- Waterfalls, lush green moss, The Colorado River, and an ecologically protected lake at the top. You will feel more like you are in Kauai, Hawaii rather than Colorado!
- Take Amtrak or carpool
- Carpool one-way on day of hike and return next day via Amtrak
- Take Amtrak day before hike and carpool on the return at your convenience
- Carpool roundtrip
- Take Amtrak roundtrip
I know many people will be making a full weekend of this by taking the Amtrak on Friday morning and returning Monday afternoon. For both eastbound and westbound, Amtrak only has one departure option per day.
The schedule is as follows:
- Denver to Glenwood Springs on any day:
- Depart Denver Amtrak Station near Union Station at 8:05am, Arrive Glenwood Springs at 1:53pm
- Glenwood Springs to Denver on any day:
- Depart Glenwood Springs at 12:10pm, Arrive Denver Amtrak Station near Union Station at 6:38pm
Approximately 2.5 miles in/out with a 1000' incline
Start at TBA feet and ends at TBA feet (highest point feet)= ft gain
Estimated time on the trail: 4-5 hours (allow extra time to gear up / down at car before & after hike)
Moderate (I have seen young families on up to seniors doing this hike)
No (I have pondered with the thought of allowing dogs on the hikes, but while thinking of expensive camera equipment sitting on tripods, I discovered my answer). Additionally, due to the ecological protection of this area, they do not allow dogs, and I am all about protecting nature that is delicate.
What to bring for the hike itself:
- plenty of water
- comfortable clothing
- rain jacket
- good hiking shoes
- camera of your preference
- hiking poles are always suggested for beginner hikers or those with knee / back issues. Hiking poles with suspension- Bonus! (Target & Walmart sell them for around $20. $100 poles from the big outdoor stores are not necessary. Mine were from Walmart and have suspension springs)
- gas money for your driver, and the courtesy / ability to remove your trash from their car when you leave.
- Patience, smiles, positive attitude, and a good time
What to bring for camping and the rest of the trip:
- Your fun camping spirit
- Camp food such as things for s'mores and anything else (there is also an on-site bar and grill with limited hours)
- Tent and gear for tent camping if you are not staying in a camper cabin
- If you are staying in a camper cabin, you will need pillows, sleeping bags or linens as these are similar to tent camping, but are an alternate framed shelter with a padded platform bed.
This is going to be a great weekend, and I am looking forward to meeting everyone!
I'm really laid back, and everything above that I have mentioned are just more "good practices" rather than rules (such as how to set up your carpooling). But here is where I have to set some rules:
DUE TO THE NATURE OF THE TRIP INVOLVING MORE LOGISTICS THAN OUR DAY HIKES, CANCELLATION WILL BE REQUIRED BY A DATE YET TO BE DETERMINED BY AMTRAK AND GLENWOOD CANYON RESORT. THIS CANCELLATION DATE WILL BE UPDATED AS SOON AS IT IS KNOWN. IF YOU NEED TO CANCEL OUTSIDE THE CANCELLATION DATE, YOU WILL STILL BE REQUIRED TO COMMUNICATE YOUR CANCELLATION TO ERIN SO THAT WE ARE NOT WAITING FOR YOU AT OUR MEETING LOCATION. NO EXPLANATION FOR YOUR CANCELLATION IS NECESSARY. ADDITIONALLY, IF YOU CANCEL OUTSIDE THE CANCELLATION DEADLINE, YOU WILL BE CHARGED A CANCELLATION FEE. YOU MUST NOTIFY OF CANCELLATION AS SOON AS YOU KNOW YOU CANNOT MAKE IT. IF IT'S AFTER 10PM THE NIGHT PRIOR TO YOUR DEPARTURE, PLEASE CANCEL ON HEREAND SEND ME A TEXT (WITH YOUR NAME) THAT YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO MAKE IT SO THAT I KNOW WE ARE NOT WAITING FOR YOU. MY EMAILS ARE SOMETIMES DELAYED ON MY PHONE FOR HOURS, HENCE A TEXT IS BETTER. AGAIN, YOU MUST CANCEL ON HERE AS WELL AS SEND ME A TEXT IF YOU CANCEL AFTER 10PM THE NIGHT PRIOR TO DEPARTURE. AN EMAIL / TEXT CANCELLATION ALONE IS NOT A CANCELLATION. EVERYONE WILL RECEIVE AN EMAIL WITH MY PHONE NUMBER BEFORE THE EVENT.
BY RSVPing "YES", YOU ARE AWARE THAT THIS IS A PARTICIPATE AT YOUR OWN RISK EVENT, AND THAT YOU ARE LIABLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!