Whether you believe the world is gonna end on 12/21/12 or not, let's prove to the Mayans that they were wrong by truly LIVING on this date! We will snowshoe (or hike it with spikes if necessary) on the appropriately named Peru Creek trail in Montezuma, Colorado (near Keystone), one of the most beautiful trails surrounded by snowcapped mountains, streams, and mining ruins. Optional: Wear something to go with the Mayan theme!
Peru Creek Trail, Dec 25th, 2010
For details on how to prepare for the snowshoe season, be sure to check out the seasonal newsletter under our discussions tab.
Après snowshoe / hike will occur at:
Dos Locos (located about 10-12 minutes from the trailhead on the main road going back to I-70)
22869 U.S. 6, Keystone, CO (970)[masked] · doslocoskeystone.com Menu: http://www.doslocoskeystone.com/menu.pdf
- When you RSVP YES, there are a small set of questions to answer along with your RSVP... please answer them. You can always go back to edit your answers without losing your spot by clicking on "Change RSVP".
7:45am: Meet at carpool location- Wooly Mammoth Park N Ride (not RTD). There is a nice independent coffee shop across the street with baked goods as well. Arrive before 7:45a if you plan to get coffee for the road. Load up then leave at..
8:00am: Depart Wooly Mammoth
9:30am: Arrive at Peru Creek Trailhead
9:45am: Begin hike after gearing up
Between 2:00-3:00PM: Finish hike
Between 2:30-3:30PM: Arrive at Dos Locos Mexican Restaurant & Cantina in Keystone
Between 4:00-5:00PM: Leave restaurant
Between 5:30-6:30PM: Arrive back at Wooly Mammoth lot
All post-hike times are estimated
The Hike has a total ascent of[masked] ft and has a maximum elevation of 10,833.33 ft.
It is an in-out trail, 4 miles each way for a total of 8 miles, with the option to go farther. From the 4th mile, you'll be able to at least see the very large mining structure in the distance. We can go farther to see it closer.
Skill Level: Lower intermediate. The trail is mostly level with a fairly easy, long incline, with a couple areas that have a larger grade than the majority of the trail. Grade is about 3.5%. This is the first hike I ever did with a meetup group if that helps. :)
No (I have pondered with the thought of letting dogs on the hikes, but while thinking of expensive camera equipment sitting on tripods, I discovered my answer)
Mine shaft at approximately mile 2
Large mining structure at end of trail
What to bring:
- Crampons/ spikes
- Snowshoes (rentable at Sports Authority the night before for $10+ tax)
- plenty of water
- comfortable clothing (do NOT use cotton socks or even cotton blend socks! Use wool only!)
- camera of your preference
- hiking poles are always suggested for beginner hikers or those with knee / back issues. Hiking poles with suspension- Bonus! (Target & Walmart sell them. $100 poles from the big outdoor stores are not necessary. Mine were from Walmart for $14 and have suspension springs. As of 11/12/12, the Wheat Ridge Walmart at I-70 & Youngfield still has a good inventory of "trekking poles" for $19.97 per pair, located in the sporting goods area in the aisle near the camping chairs)
- gas money for your driver and the ability to remove your trash from their vehicles. Most drivers do their best to present a clean car for your comfort... please return the respect to that driver.
- Patience, smiles, positive attitude, and a good time
- Refer to the Seasonal Newsletter under the DISCUSSIONS tab above for a detailed snowshoe gear list.
- Fun Mayan props (optional)
Looking forward to meeting everyone! -Erin
I'm really laid back, and everything above that I have mentioned are just more "good practices" rather than rules (such as how to set up your carpooling). But here is where I have to set some rules:
REMEMBER: PLEASE CHECK THE EVENT BY 7PM ON THURSDAY, DEC 20th... IF THERE IS A WAITING LIST, YOU MUST CANCEL EITHER YOUR "YES" OR "WAITING LIST" RSVP BY 8PM THURSDAY, DECEMBER 20TH TO "NO" IF YOUR PLANS HAVE CHANGED AND YOU DECIDE NOT TO ATTEND.
IF THERE ISN'T A WAITING LIST, NO WORRIES. PLEASE STILL CANCEL AS SOON AS YOU KNOW THOUGH. IF IT'S AFTER 10PM, PLEASE CANCEL ON HERE AS WELL AS SEND ME A TEXT (WITH YOUR NAME) THAT YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO MAKE IT SO THAT I KNOW WE AREN'T WAITING FOR YOU. MY EMAILS ARE SOMETIMES DELAYED ON MY PHONE FOR HOURS, HENCE A TEXT IS BETTER. BUT AGAIN, IT IS REQUIRED THAT YOU CANCEL ON HERE AS WELL AS SEND ME A TEXT IF YOU CANCEL AFTER 10PM (WHICH IS THE TIME THAT I CHECK FINAL ANTICIPATED ATTENDANCE). AN EMAIL / TEXT CANCELLATION ALONE IS NOT A CANCELLATION. EVERYONE WILL RECEIVE AN EMAIL WITH MY PHONE NUMBER BEFORE THE EVENT.
BY RSVPing "YES", YOU ARE AWARE THAT THIS IS A PARTICIPATE AT YOUR OWN RISK EVENT, AND THAT YOU ARE LIABLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!