addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Denver Photo Hikers Message Board › Fall Photos

Fall Photos

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Y'all,

What are your personal suggestions on where to take colorful pics of the mountains for fall? My birthday is mid-Oct but my boss said the leaves changing colors are practically over by then! I'm from TX so you're lucky if it's not still 90+ degrees still in mid-Oct, and the leaves don't even begin to change till late Oct/beginning of November.

Sure I could Google, but I prefer personal recs over that. Any help on where and when to go would be great! Thanks!

Cindy
Dan
user 13244800
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 9
Hi Cindy, Last year I took the Boreas Pass road near Breckenridge around September 28th and there were so many great places to photograph the golden Aspens. I must've stopped the car every 100 yards to take another few shots of the gorgeous yellow leaves and the amazing scenery. Based on what I saw I would guess that the peak started about a week earlier so from 9/20-9/30 seems perfect. Also, you can get a good pre season rate if you wanted to stay overnight in Breckenridge. Much cheaper than peak ski season. Dan
James B.
user 46950132
Arvada, CO
Hi Cindy, The fall colors are at there best around the third week of October along the front range. An area that could really be great would be Roxborough Park SW of Denver. The red rock formations are spectacular, and there are a lot of scrub oak surrounding them, and they often have purple and bright red colors in the fall. There are other trees that turn gold and bright yellow. If you would like to see photos of this area just type in search "Roxborough Park Fall Images". I hope this is helpful. Jim
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks guys! Dan, I'm very interested in the Boreas Pass drive. I saw on the news tonight that leaves were already changing a little in Silverthorne. I won't be able to get into the mountains till after Labor Day so I hope everything doesn't change too early. If you or anyone else thinks of anymore, please let me know - greatly appreciated! :-)
Erin S
user 58403502
Group Organizer
Golden, CO
Cindy- Dan & Jim are correct. Mid-October in the mountains are more orange-colored hillsides. In other words, it's high season for hunters in the mountains with their orange vests, and most of the leaves have fallen by then. (I avoid hikes in the mtns at that time! I don't desire stray bullets!)

For Breckenridge, I usually stay at the The Lodge and Spa at Breckenridge (<--click here to go to their website). They have cheap rates if you call the hotel directly. They are high on a mountaintop right on Boreas Pass Road. Both the rooms and the deck with hot tub have great panoramic views of the mountains and the area surrounding the road.