It's Omar from Design Alexandria. I've recently stepped in as organizer of the group since our friends Paul and Brittany Mederos ventured out to California. Word has it, they're branching off a "Design Palo Alto" :)
I'd just like to share a few things I had in mind for Design A's future:
What We Care About?
1) Meeting people with the same passion for Design.
2) Being motivated to work on something you love.
3) Seeking help in areas you're not yet familiar with.
What's in Store?
Let's be adventurous as well as educational.
Here's a plan for the next 6 months (consider it an "Un-plan" as things will get switched around based on group feedback):
1) August - Start Making Something you can Ship
• sketch like a mofo
• find your coding/designing weapons of choice
• be lean, stay clean
2) September - Building Anything is Making Progress
• find out what gets you creative
• prototype, wireframe, user test
• hack your way to something tangible
3) October - Show and Tell or Watch and Absorb
• talk about or show your progress
• collaborate and co-work with designers and devs
• stay inspired, and you'll see your project through
4) November - Design Essentials, Critique
• get more pairs of eyes on your work
• cut out the fat and keep what sticks
• head home primed with stuff to do
5) December - Design Field Trip
• explore the Old Town Winter vista!
• what keeps us warm...
• hot chocolate, anyone?
6) January - Peer to Peer User Test Exchange
• bring a useable product or mockup to share
• get direct feedback from designers
• road map the future
Our first meeting kicks off at the end of this month (St. Elmo's Pub is walking distance to Braddock Rd. metro!)... Hope you can make it! If not, there'll be more to come!