addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

DetNode: The Detroit Node.js User Group Message Board › We want your ideas!

We want your ideas!

Kevin O.
kevinohara80
Group Organizer
Rochester, MI
Post #: 1
As we get our awesome group rolling, we want to hear from you on what you would like to see in our meetups. The goal of the group is to provide a forum where we can explore this great technology and learn from each other. For that to happen, we need YOU to tell us what you want out of our meetups.

To get you started...

• Are there specific Node modules that you want to understand?
  • Do you want more hands-on hack sessions?
  • Interested in learning about hosting and deployment?
  • Want some advice on best-practices?
  • Do you need to beef up your Javascript skills?
  • Need a 101 to get started with Node?

Give us your ideas and we'll use your feedback to put together some kick-ass sessions.
Calvin
user 30898322
Detroit, MI
I want to learn how to create a form that emails the post to me.
I want to learn how to store and access a DB.
Kevin O.
kevinohara80
Group Organizer
Rochester, MI
Post #: 2
Any particular DB you have in mind? The NoSQL flavors are particularly popular in the Node.js community. MongoDB would probably be right up your alley given that the shell is javascript-based.

Swiber is a CouchDB fan and its super simple to use with Node.
A former member
I think we can satisfy all of the above with collaborative hands-on hacking sessions. By creating a shared repository on Github, we can create awesome stuff and provide material for the group. Our code can serve as an example for future meetings, provide a focal point, and divide the work so everyone owns their part. When we work on our parts, the Node-knowers can build the harder stuff while those learning node can contribute in small parts, read the code, learn best practices hands-on, and communicate through github with other developers. Github is great for collaboration, especially for pull requests (like code review with merges). Even if only a few of us combine our efforts, it'll benefit the whole group. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas on stuff to build, let me know, and feel free to email me: ajpocus at gmail.

EDIT- When I say all of the above I mean the top bullet points, although we could use multiple DBs on separate forks.

EDIT 2 - Regarding node 101, does anyone want to help write some intro code/comments/explanations?
Kevin O.
kevinohara80
Group Organizer
Rochester, MI
Post #: 3
Great ideas. Let's discuss at the next meeting!