Recently Google announced a new version of Android called Android Wear that is designed for smart phones and other wearables. At the moment, there is a Preview SDK available for Android Wear. With the annual Google I/O conference just around the corner, there may be more announcements about Android Wear in the near future.
Come out and join the Detroit Google Developers Group on Monday, June 16, 2014 for an evening of learning about Android Wear and how to develop with it. We do not proclaim to be experts on Android Wear. We do however have materials and code labs from Google for Developer Groups to work together on to learn and develop for Android Wear.
We also have a few vouchers that we will be raffling off for a yet to be announced Google Wear device. Google has not disclosed to us what these devices may be and the vouchers can be redeemed after the Google I/O conference later this month. These vouchers may be good for a Google Watch, a Google Fitness Band, or even a Google Shoe Phone. We do not know, and that is part of the fun.
There are a few prerequisites you may want to look at before attending to get more out of the event. They are:
• Familiarity with the Java programming language
• Access to an Android phone or tablet for testing
• Pre-event: Sign up for the Developer Preview http://developer.android.com/wear/preview/signup.html. It takes up 24 hours to get approved.
• After registration, you should get a confirmation email that includes a link to the Android Wear Developer Preview support library and a link to opt-in to the Android Wear Preview app beta distribution in Google Play store.
• Android Wear DevByte playlist
• Join the +Android Wear Developers community: g.co/androidweardev
• Bring an Android phone or tablet to the event for testing your app.
The presentation will start shortly after 6:45pm with food and beverages arriving at 6:30pm.
Unfortunately, we can not validate parking for this event.