Detroit Lambda Lounge Message Board › Higher Kinded Types

Higher Kinded Types

Clarkston, MI
Post #: 6
I've been wondering for a while if someone could fill me in on the idea of "Higher Kinded Types"--what are they and what might the typical use case be?
Faisal W.
user 51204752
Detroit, MI
Post #: 8
Hi Onorio,

I never get back to you on this. I am not a Type Theory wonk but here is my understanding of Higher Kinded types.

With ordinary types (int, string, etc.) we can define functions with signatures such as int-->String.

With Higher Kinded types you can define functions that accept types (rather than instances of types) to create new types. Such 'functions' (if that is the right term) are defined with Kinds. You can sort of say that ordinary types are instances of Kinds.

They are used in Type Constructors. My understanding is that Type Theory is much more general in this regard than any programming language implementation. You can carry this type of types of types to the nth level but Scala and Haskell stop one level up from ordinary types.