addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Detroit Atheist Social Hub Message Board › What we're about (meta about the side bar) and orginizers that never show up.

What we're about (meta about the side bar) and orginizers that never show up.

A former member
Post #: 643
I saw "Vegan · Vegetarian" listed to the left. I myself am not but I'm not against it either. I just feel it misrepresents us. I mean if we're going to have that then why not list LGBT, computers, biking, etc... as well?

I'd even take out movie fans (maybe some people hate movies?) and Social Networking (it's a social networking site so it's kind of a tautological statement there) as well. Women's Social also seems a bit much. Why not a Men's Social or is that sexist? I'd remove that too and just focus on terms dealing with atheism.

Also I was looking over the organizers and a few of them haven't been here in quite some time, some 5-8 months even. I guess it doesn't hurt anything to leave them but I personally wouldn't give them that kind of power if they don't show up, not that this group is overflowing with activity.

That's another thing, this group should be overflowing with activity. I check it almost as often as I check DAM. Now that the weather is getting nice we should try to do more. Not necessarily atheist events but fun events. Maybe some baseball or a board game night somewhere. Maybe just go hang out at a pub. I think it should be more about having fun than discussing atheism because we have so many other groups for that. Of course I've said this part before but I figure it bares repeating. I'd just like to hang out with rational people without having to discuss how we're rational every five minutes. I imagine it's quite like going to a MENSA meeting and trying to prove how you're smarter than everyone else. Who really gives a damn, just have fun.
Cane K.
Cane.Kostovski
Eastpointe, MI
Post #: 21
ScaryGuy?

I'm all for having fun. The trouble is, some of things I think are fun, some, if not all, of the others don't agree!!! So, how 'bout if we all throw in a few ideas and see which ones get the most votes?

I'll start with 2 ideas that I know many if not all would like:
1) Visit an Astronomy club when they meet at night with their expensive telescopes. Some of them would be glad to let us peak through their telescope (maybe others might as well if we offer to make a monetary or beer donation?)
2) I just heard about Argo Park in Ann Arbor. Something about an Argo Park loop. I love hiking and walking and that sounded like a nice walk: http://www.mapmyrun.c...­

Hey! Don't get me wrong, I like to bitc* 'bout the 'diots just like the next guy, but I sure don't like to be one!!!! LMAO!!!

Cane AKA AtheistTech
A former member
Post #: 645
Sorry for the delayed replies, my computer has been down. Resurrecting the main system and retiring the laptop for DJ use only.

Anyway, those are great ideas. I'm not that into astronomy though and feel that much of that would be over my head. It doesn't even rate as a hobby to me while those guys live it day in and day out.

I noticed you go by AtheistTech, so maybe a computer club would be fun as well? Of course I'd be mostly interested in Linux/BSD and then we'd have fistfights over Vi or Emacs.
Stu C.
DJStuCrew
Roseville, MI
Post #: 77
LOVE astronomy -- I'm very, VERY rusty, but really like stargazing. I also like woods walks, although I might not call what I do "hiking." If it goes for more than 5 miles, it stops being fun for me. (Unless it's August and I've worked up to it -- LOL! It's an old guy thing...)

Goin' pickin' for "Adopt A Highway" on Saturday! Plus, there's Mark's presentation in Rochester coming up. So we've got plenty of activities to choose from, and nothing says we can't have more!
A former member
Post #: 646
Yes, I suppose we can count Mark's talk because it's not strictly atheist and has to do with skepticism, critical thinking, (and specifically fallacies with this upcomming one.)

You really want to hike in the dead heat of august though? I love heat and that is even too much for me (although at night might be nice when things have cooled off a bit.)