add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Detroit Area MahJong Message Board › Ann Arbor Mahjong Tournament Feb 19th!!!

Ann Arbor Mahjong Tournament Feb 19th!!!

Brian M.
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 8

I am the vice president of the University of Michigan Anime Club, Animania. We are having a big event on Saturday Feb. 19th, from 10am to Midnight. We will be showing anime non-stop in three rooms. We will also be having a riichi mahjong tournament!!! You're all invited to come. Amanda, if you could make this an event in the calendar, that'd be sweet. For those of you who don't care for anime, the tournament itself will have the following schedule;

Panel 1:30pm-2:30pm
First Round 4pm-6pm
Final 8pm-10pm.

The panel will be a presentation I will be giving on how to play riichi mahjong, which you all are welcome to, but do not have to attend. Registration will be from 2:30pm-3:45pm, so please do show up sometime in that time frame. The format of the tournament will be dependent on how many people we get. I am estimating 16, in that case, we'd have first round and winner of each table goes onto the final. There will be prizes for all the finalists which are to be determined.

The actual event is called Con Ja Nai XVII and will be held at the Modern Language Building on the University of Michigan campus in Ann Arbor. Here is a map:­

If you have any questions, just ask me.
Group Organizer
Ferndale, MI
Post #: 30
This sounds awesome! I went ahead and created an event for this. What rules will be used for the tournament?

Also, do you need anyone to bring anything, like food, tiles, etc?
Brian M.
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 9
Rules for the tournament;

Atozuke (Backdoor Win)
Ippatsu (One-shot)
Kandora/Kanuradora (Dora from kong + hidden)
Kuikae (Chow switch)
Nagashimangan (Honorable discard)
Renhou (Blessing of man = Yakuman)
Ryanhanshibari (Minimum of 2 yaku to go out after 5 dealer wins)
Tempai Renchan (If dealer is tenpai he/she remains dealer)
Tochuryukyoku (Abortive draws)
Uradora (Hidden dora)
Barenchan (Dealer gets Yakuman after 8 wins)
Double Yakuman (Allowed to get more than 1 Yakuman)

Not Allowed;
Open Riichi (2 yaku for opening your hand on riichi)
Kuitan (Open Simples/Tanyao)
Yakitori (Player who doesn't win is penalized)

As for Akadora (Red Dora), it all depends on if we gather enough Japanese sets with red dora. I personally would like to include red dora, so if people could bring their japanese sets, that would be awesome. As of now, we have 4 sets, (2 have akadora, 2 do not). If we don't get 4 japanese sets, then we would be playing without akadora.

As for food, there will be no food allowed during the tournament (building rules, not ours). There will be a break between the first and final round to allow time for everyone who wants to get food to do so.
Group Organizer
Ferndale, MI
Post #: 31
I have 2 Japanese sets I can bring, though 1 isn't the greatest so if someone can bring another one that would be cool. If it comes down to it, it can definitely be used, though.
Brian M.
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 10
Alright, sweet! Thank you very much!
A former member
Post #: 9
I can bring my Riichi set for sure.