Detroit Area MahJong Message Board › Discussion of League Games/Tournaments

Discussion of League Games/Tournaments

Adam
akilleen
Group Organizer
Ferndale, MI
Post #: 48
Hey everyone!

I've been going over some ideas for starting up a Mahjong League. I wanted to share my ideas with everyone and get some feedback. Please let me know your thoughts.

Setup
I am thinking we could have one "official" game per month. These could be existing games already scheduled for the Ann Arbor or Royal Oak locations, or a totally new game scheduled specifically for the purpose of being an official game. We could have 5 months of league games, where the 6th would be a tournament, making two tournaments a year. We could also just do 11 months of games and yearly tournaments. Seating in the tournament would be based on scores in the league games.

What's Needed?
An official set of rules. We can borrow from USPML or the RCR rules from the EMA, or we can come up with our own set. We do have some previous discussion on the message board, maybe we can put everything into a single document.

Volunteers to officiate. Of course the officials wouldn't be able to participate in the league games, so to make it fair we could have a rotation of sorts.

Spreadsheet/webapp for scoring and leaderboards. A spreadsheet would be easy, but it would be pretty sweet to have a web app for the whole tournament. I did come up with a template for one, but I have a hard time finding time to push it forward, especially since my development skills are on a novice level. Any volunteers to help make this happen would be awesome. I can supply the web space.

If anyone can think of anything else please let me know. I think it would be really fun to have a tournament. I look forward to your suggestions!

-Adam
Robert P.
user 42165472
Redford, MI
Post #: 2
I like the idea of a separate League game. The locations could be our existing venues, but separate days. That way, we still can have a relaxing game on our regular get-togethers. Have you looked at iTunes or those other folk to see if they have an existing app - maybe something for a golf tournament? Maybe it could be configured how we need it. I will put the word out for volunteers. And we need tshirts and other tchotchke, lots of it!!
Merle
user 11831024
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 27
I don't think we need volunteers/officials. I mean what are they going to be ruling on? I don't think there would be any issue with cheating. The only sort of judgment calls would be maybe chombo's

I'm torn on the separate day/event or just documenting our normal event results. Normal events would give you more data points but could interfere with nights we have like 6 people and we need to swap in and out. We could just not document those games where we do that. Minor point, we'd also have some bias in the scoring since the Royal Oak and Ann Arbor groups don't really overlap. So can you really compare Royal Oak Player A's stats with Ann Arbor Player B's stats if they never face the same opponents?

In theory a separate day/location would be good if we can mix the groups and get a good sample of data where everyone has played against everyone at some point. I just don't know how you are going to pull that off. There's not going to be a time or place thats good for everyone. You could try and move it around so everyone can make it to some of them, but then I wonder how much data you will really get.

I'm also curious how you were planning on doing ranking. Average score? Average finish (1st, 2nd, etc)? Something else? Some kind of hybrid?

I like the the general idea though
Adam
akilleen
Group Organizer
Ferndale, MI
Post #: 49
I think the idea of having an official is having someone with the ability to have the final say in a conflict. I don't think we will have an issue with cheating, but it would be nice to have a neutral person available for conflict resolution more than anything. I'm thinking more in the case of us running into a situation that we didn't address in the rule set.

I agree with the lack of overlap between A2 and RO meetups, that could certainly cause some issues. Maybe we could do the separate day/location thing and have it in a more central location to both sides? (i.e. Plymouth, Canton, etc). I'm figuring if we can plan out the monthly league games in advance people will make more of an effort to get there, whereas the normal weekly games aren't too big of a deal to miss.

Good question on ranking. I will do some investigation into the Japanese Professional leagues to see how they do it.
Robert P.
user 42165472
Redford, MI
Post #: 3
As to a central locale, does that Meijer in Northville sound central? What is our geographical distribution? If I remember correctly, we have most members in the RO/Ferndale area to the east and AA/Ypsilanti to the west. Dave is in Waterford. Maybe a show of hands to see who would play in the tourney and we can decide from there. Maybe a game or two at our central location to introduce everyone.
Jocilyn W.
user 12236492
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 22
I'm not overly attracted to the idea of attending a meetup at Meijer. I don't see their customers being very understanding, so I would basically have to go without using the restroom. >.> That being said, I don't see myself as ever placing above fifth seat so... maybe a non-issue. xD
Adam
akilleen
Group Organizer
Ferndale, MI
Post #: 50
There's always the Plymouth Coffee Bean.
Amanda P.
mandabeastie
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 18
I am up for a League type thing. I think that we should be using rules that would be in line with whatever more official type League or Tournaments that would be available for us to enter in the Midwest.

I mention as an aside, the Light Mahjong Club on Reddit's Mahjong board, also keeps track of their stats and such. I haven't joined them yet, because no Tenhou account, and also they use Skype as a chat thing.. but I was really thinking of joining to try and expand the sources of my mahjong experience.

Most recent Light Mahjong Club Reddit post

Also, maybe a virtual meetup would be interesting to try? It would alleviate some of the travel problems.
Adam
akilleen
Group Organizer
Ferndale, MI
Post #: 51
Yeah, it probably would be a good idea to stick with similar rules to other leagues/tournaments. Not sure if you all have seen this yet, but our group was added to the Midwest Mahjong site. I will get in touch with other folks to see what rules they play by.

I have been seeing the Light Mahjong Club on Reddit and have been curious about it. I may have to check it out.

I like the idea of a virtual meetup, but wouldn't necessarily want to make "league" games virtual. Tenhou + Skype would be cool for those of us that have a hard time making it to other meets.
Robert P.
user 42165472
Redford, MI
Post #: 4
Are there any specific requirements for access to Tenhou? Is the site in English? Also, as to venue, would we have a time limit for league games? Would games be played during the evening? For what it's worth, we had the cafe corner at Meijers pretty much to ourselves during the weeknights, including the bathrooms, and it's open 24/7.